Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

Tikka rifles are gaining great reputations. The new Weatherby rifles are supposed to be excellent too. While excellent, most factory rifles will none the less come with compromises. Save your money and have a rifle built that is dressed to fit you. Tikka, and savage are nice if you can't have a Remington...
Will not buy a new rem. Old diff story.

Will not buy a new rem. Old diff story.
While there was a a special place in my heart for a Remington 700, I'll be the first to admit that they're not all created equal. A factory m700 can be good and it can be ****. The platform is the key. Components are infinitely available, most gunsmiths know their way around them, and with the proper attention to detail they can be much much greater than the sum of their parts. Most factory tikka rifles for instance, will probably outshoot run of the mill factory r700s, but there is soooo much opportunity to make a Remington into a project rifle along the way and end up with something truly special. I'll admit, I'm familiar with this avenue and I'm probably biased. There are more things to consider than solely what is possible. I wouldn't change my experience, but if I was committed to buying a rifle and Altering it was NOT an option, r700 would only be my choice if the rifle was proven or had already been trued. I've seen too many factory r700s arrive at the range and be found to be less than satisfying, not bad, but definitely left things to be desired. One has to ask himself/herself, what do I want out of this endeavor? What accuracy threshold will satisfy me? What attributes are important to me? How will I use this tool? To what degree is convenience a priority? What will I hunt? How far will I shoot? How well do I manage recoil? Am I willing to be seen with it?

Please see group from inexpensive Sako that is basically identical to a Tikka. Also note the photo of the Prime Minister of Finland. I am a buy American guy but sometimes there is great workmanship found elsewhere. View attachment 220148View attachment 220144
She
Tikka. Their only downside is that they don't put enough twist in their barrels. So you are limited on shooting heavy high bc bullets. They make an incredible platform to build a future custom rifle on.
You are right about that. I encourage anyone who writes a review for Tikka's 7mmRemMag to address that in their review. If they made a 1-8 twist the dealers couldn't keep them in stock!

She

You are right about that. I encourage anyone who writes a review for Tikka's 7mmRemMag to address that in their review. If they made a 1-8 twist the dealers couldn't keep them in stock!
Benchmark buys complete rifles dozens at a time just to build rifles on because tbey are such a good platform and the price is so reasonable. Just a note, most if not all the bm principal are shootinh tikka based rifles in competition. They have choice of any action out there! That speaks a lot to me.

Slight increases in magazine length and faster twists would be a welcome change for SAKO/Tikka. This would really only benefit the handloader. The average hunter does not handload or use long/heavy for caliber loads.

Hello Kellen

1. the new VortexRazor HD LHT 3x18x50 at eurooptic is about 1k, I recommended that one, light weigh and give you more MOA than you needed.
2. Do not look at the browning x bolt, I have one , it is 8 lbs rifle without scope. You don't need that.
If you could spend 2.5 k, then get the savage 110 ultralight 6.5 prc, you will be happy with it.

Happy hunting Kellen
Tom

Thank you for your input, Dargie. I was actually responding to BlueShirt2's post. I am not the one putting a setup together.

She

That was 1 of the reasons I bought my tikka t3x lite stainless 6.5creedmoor, the 1-8 twist is extremely accurate with hornady precision 143 ELDX it shoots 1/2 all day long at 200yds, have also shot Remington core-loc 140, hornady super performance 140, Peter's premiere. blue 129 and Winchester usa 125 and they all averaged 1/2 to 3/4 at 200

Can't go wrong with a Tikka T3. My old trusty Remington 700 7mm mag sits in the safe while my T3 in 300 WSM is my go to now. From Sitka Blacktail on Kodiak to desert sheep, mule deer, coues deer and elk in Arizona it's hard to beat.

I do like the Xbolt the best so far. But then I have people telling me to stay away from non- 700 action rifles.....
I have 4 x-bolts and they will shoot the blink out of a squirrels eye at 100. First pic .300 win mag at 100 that is two groups, second pic 7 mm rem mag at 100. After shooting for 42 years my most accurate factory rifle has been browning

Attachments

• F42929B7-EBB3-4BA0-8514-46764C8E4A00.jpeg
    F42929B7-EBB3-4BA0-8514-46764C8E4A00.jpeg
    637.4 KB · Views: 62
  • A4D29F1C-0109-4617-81AA-3AD82EA390EE.jpeg
    A4D29F1C-0109-4617-81AA-3AD82EA390EE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
Please see group from inexpensive Sako that is basically identical to a Tikka. Also note the photo of the Prime Minister of Finland. I am a buy American guy but sometimes there is great workmanship found elsewhere. View attachment 220148View attachment 220144
Well now I have two things I like about Finland: their rifles and their PM. They certainly have taste I'll give them that 😃

Bergara, tika, or savage. 2-12,or 3-15 or 18 scope. Vx6hd sub 10lb setup that can kill way past 500 yards and elk capable. 6.5 or 300 wsm to keep the gun lighter and short action.
your welcome
Welcome brother.
Turtle

Awesome glass the vx6hd. I have the 3x18x44 with the fire dot. Highly sensitive to low light conditions. Leupold is proud of the optics although I have three two are 4.5x14 vx3i's. Warranty is unbeatable. It might be wiser him to look at the 5 series as price is a concern for this gentleman , although I regret not getting the six earlier in my hunting life.

just saying