Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

Since you have the budget that you do and wished for an American-made rifle, you could look at a Weatherby Mark V Weathermark with a Vortex Viper PST II 5-25x50. Rifle comes ceracoated and threaded. They have the scope on sale at EuroOptic for like $699 right now.

Last edited:
Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!

I'm selling a like new tc venture In 300 win mag all in mossy oak breakup camo if your interested . Selling to get one with a threaded barrel.

I talked to a Browning tech guy and these are his answers about changing a Browning A-Bolt Barrel

The tech that I spoke with could not tell me if the actions were investment cast. He said he would find out and call me back.

He verified the threads had been changed from 20 tpi to 32 tpi.

He said no glue was use to lock the threads. ( another bit of misinfo I heard)

He said with the appropriate wrenches and technique the barrel would screw right off the action. He said he had done thousands of them.

I did ask him about using never seize on the barrel when manufactured and he laughed and told me it was never needed so why use it. He does use a special "made for Browning barrel wrench and they are available to the general public.
Hi Murph, thanks for taking the time to do that, I appreciate it!

I work in a pawn shop. I like to buy used guns and save a lot of money. We have a Kimber .280 with a Zeiss scope. The combo looks new, just no box. It can easily be bought for well under $2000. Look around. Tons of great guns for well under your budget.

Plenty of Rem 700 models for under 1k, most I have had wouldn't need much to shoot 500 yards except maybe a trigger changed out or some bedding. I have had good luck with the Timney triggers and top it off with a good Leopold. The key is to go out and practice out to 500 if you ever want to shoot that far, know your rifle, setup, windage and elevation adjustments. A good scope reticle will help facilitate this and/or a turret or dial system. With ammo shortages, buy a caliber you can get ammo for or an easy caliber to reload like the 308.

Echoing many others I have had great Remington and Savage shooters but my favourite is my Tikka. I shoot a .270 win. Boring but my last elk didn't make it a hundred yards

Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!
Hi All.
Thanks!!
I am a Sendero fan. A little heavy but accurate. but that is what slings are fro

Tikka and VX5HD
What he said!!!

Also, an ~$10 Yo Dave trigger spring will get you down to around 1-1/2 lbs. However, after I purchased the spring and the rifle simultaneously, I quickly realized that the trigger was plenty light and crisp out of the box. (I had a massive stroke at 28, leaving my right arm and my trigger finger exceptionally weak The Tikka trigger on my T3X CTR was still light enough for my taste.)

Last edited:
Our military issued sniper rifles at work are .308 caliber. We know how well this round performs but for elk and other heavy game ( or perhaps dangerous game) at long distance, I would go with something with more power. I would also suggest a light carry rifle.