Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

I do like the Xbolt the best so far. But then I have people telling me to stay away from non- 700 action rifles.....

If you are able to get your decision making past this restrictive and ill-conceived advice, you will broaden your options dramatically.

If you do and have interest, I have available a never fired since leaving the factory A Bolt II Medallion 26" barrel chambered in 300 WSM. Its been sitting in my safe for 6+ years because by the time I got around to 300 WSM, I nearly stole ($600) a pristine 1st production year 300 WSM Win M70 Featherweight that had been professionally pillared and bedded and sitting in a local gun store for years. Its raggedy ol' Win mauser style crf action shoots 180 gr Scirocco II at 0.4 moa. Of course, it ain't no 700...

A shooter on a budget is often wise to shop the used market and spend more on the optics and bipod, IMO.

Didn't take the time to read all 9 pages but I will recommend only what I know 1st hand.
I bought a Tikka T3 RMEF SST/SYN edition in 300wsm about 5-6 years ago. ALWAYS wanted a Tikka. When Tikka was discontinuing their T3 Lites for the new T3X I stumbled upon my rifle at Guns America for $525 NIB and grabbed it. Was not exactly crazy about the stock color but for the price I wasn't gonna nit pick.

It has exceeded my every expectation in terms of being wonderfully accurate and very lite weight.
If you are serious about keeping your rifle as light as you can you will be hard pressed to do better than a Tikka.

I've had very good luck with a Savages - I own three (223, 270 and 300 Win Mag) and all get sub 1/2 MOA groups with hand-loads at 100 yards and further out. Just the other day I shot a 3 inch group at 650 yards (223). I also own a Tikka, a very good rifle as well, but if I was to recommend a hunting setup for under $1000 I'd recommend something like the Savage 110 Lightweight Storm with a Bushnell Engage 3-12x42 scope. My preference is 270 but understand why some might recommend other calibers, such as the 300 Win Mag...

If you are looking for an out of the box, lightweight rifle my vote would be for a Tikka. I have purchased 2 in 300 win mag that shoot 1/2" moa @ 200 yds w/handloads. I also load for a friend that has one in a 270 WSM - same results. All 3 are in the T-3 Lite

Remington 700, bull barrel, 26 inches. Used, $600 maybe more. 20 MOA base, $60. Rings and scope of choice. I chose Burris rings and an on sale athlon ares scope, China made but nice. $459...$850 now though. Rings $60? About $1200 i paid for a hunting machine.

If you have the know how, buy a Remington 700, drop in a nice trigger and top it with a Bushnell xrs. That would be a great setup for around $2k. If you don't feel good about putting a trigger in, go with a x-bolt.

I have Tikka, Bergera, Rem 700, Browning. From what I can gather from your responses. Browning first choice. Love mine. Bergera second choice. Great rifle with the smoothest action. Tikka T3X great rifle lighter then browning but not as smooth of a action as Bergera.
Good luck.

I love my Ruger Hawkeye Standard with a Timney trigger bedded with Devcon 10110. Shoots in the .3's. Put the balance of money into Leupold glass.

Yes, they have fine threads and probably thread locker, that does not mean you can't rebarrel them. Plenty of competent smiths out there can do it. Stop spreading blatant misinformation.
I talked to a Browning tech guy and these are his answers about changing a Browning A-Bolt Barrel

The tech that I spoke with could not tell me if the actions were investment cast. He said he would find out and call me back.

He verified the threads had been changed from 20 tpi to 32 tpi.

He said no glue was use to lock the threads. ( another bit of misinfo I heard)

He said with the appropriate wrenches and technique the barrel would screw right off the action. He said he had done thousands of them.

I did ask him about using never seize on the barrel when manufactured and he laughed and told me it was never needed so why use it. He does use a special "made for Browning barrel wrench and they are available to the general public.

my choice is the x bolt browning, i like both browning and tikkas but the brownings for me are better finished, the stock's are nicer, the flush mags better and the 60 deg bolt is awesome . I and my son have 4 between us and they all shoot awesome, are not fussy on on ammo and we just love them.

Recent Posts