Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

Did someone say Tikka in a Mcmillan...

Attachments

• IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 190
Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!
Remington 700 in .300 win mag hat should leave enough for some good glass

I've had very good luck with Weatherby Vanguards (Howa 1500) and own 4 of them now in .25-06, 30-06, and 2 7mm-08s one for the wife and the other for my son.

There are plenty of accessories and aftermarket parts for them and they are affordable, accurate, and come in a variety of chamberings and configurations including some really nice "Signature" models made for Meateater and Randy Newberg.

The 25-06 is easily the most accurate rifle I have ever owned shooting
off the shelf Barnes Vortx loads.

Last edited:
Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!
tikka or howa and get a good vortex and your good to go

I have 2 XBolts and both are very good shooters. A 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5 PRC.

I have easily found sub .75 moa loads for both with a few .5moa or better targets mixed in when I was having a good shooting day.

Brownings, Tikkas, Bergaras all fit your budget and will be great shooters.

For glass don't rule out Tract. The Toric UHD is IMO superior to NF until you get up to NX8 or higher models.

Here is my PRC with my 4-20x50 Tract. Glass is superb for a $1300 scope.

Attachments

• 20200718_151813.jpg
    20200718_151813.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 107
I'm going to echo what's been said. Tikka gets my vote. Easy to upgrad as you want/need/or get bored. Have a metal dbm setup for less than $200. McMillan edge makes it a pleasure to carry and they are super accurate out of the box.
When the mood strikes, you can also change calibers due to the action length and now pre fit barrels.
I have several customs and I will probably stick with Tikkas from here on out.

T3 JES rebore to 35 whelenin McMillan Edge. Mountain tactical dbm and mag, yodave trigger spring and VX6HD.
10CDD477-D70F-4211-B635-7DED79D4D6B7.jpeg