Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

blueshirt2

Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!

Without knowing what type of hunting you are doing it is impossible for us to make a recommendation, are you a stand sitter, are you a mountain climber are you a long-range shooter from the open prairies, mostly glass alot and walk very little, do you hunt dark timber, are you hunting in swamps there's so many variables give us a little information on what you want the rifle to do and we can probably give you some legitimate answers as far as picking your next rifle, based on your requirements.

Last edited:
Without knowing what type without knowing what type of hunting you are doing it is impossible for us to make a recommendation, are you a stand sitter, are you a mountain climber are you a long-range shooter from the open prairies, mostly glass alot and walk very little, do you hunt dark timber, are you hunting in swamps there's so many variables give us a little information on what you want the rifle to do and we can probably give you some legitimate answers as far as picking your next rifle, based on your requirements.
I see your point, I was looking more for general purpose. With that said, I would prefer something lightweight as I will be walking a lot.

I do like the Xbolt the best so far. But then I have people telling me to stay away from non- 700 action rifles.....
After using various "less than 90 degree bolt lift" rifles for years, I've sold off my 700's and clone hunting rifles. Just don't like the 90 degree throw anymore with all the other great options available.