Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

How come you can't replace a barrel on a browning?

They have fine threads and they are bonded with red loctite. So if you need new barrel for a Browning you can only get it from them with an action attached. Bottom line is you trash a Browning rifle when the barrel wears out.

But Browning does make a good rifle - I have one myself.

Last edited:
I would look at the Winchester weather extreme or one of the lighter tikkas. When u start talking light it's tough to keep it under that 2k. The limber is a great gun also. I personally when with a sako finnlight. But at the time it ran 12-1400. Now they run more like 1600-1800. So by the time you scope it you will be over budget. Browning x-bolts are good but my last one I bought I was disappointed with it.

2nd on the Savage Bear Hunter... hard to beat a gun in that price range with the options it comes with. Adjustable length of pull, adjustable comb height, stainless fluted barrel, alluminum pillar bedded... really a lot of gun for the money.. Tikka has always been a great gun too!!

I'm a Remington fan, just bought a 6.5 Creed tac, shoots to 1/2".
What I haven't seen anyone mention is the Howa, I just tuned one abd it shot 1" Moa with factory ammo. I had one with the Vanguard in 7mm RM that shot very well also. I know guys are buying them as a barreled action to shoot PRS.

That was a very informative post, thanks for taking the time do write it! I haven't seen much at all on Sauer, but the X-Bolt and Bergara are on my shortlist, all of the negative posts on here about Kimber are scaring me away. For optics, I am almost definitely going with NF, either NXS 2-10x or NX8 2-20x.

You have to be careful with negative posts because if you google just about any of the rifles mentioned on here, you will more than likely find where someone had accuracy issues and you will find where people absolutely love them and would never own anything else. Look at the Tikkas that everyone is saying they love then you have a poster who will never own another one. Look at winchester. There are people that swear by them and then there are people who would not buy one made after 1963.

Here are a couple of good scopes at pretty good prices on here

I'm a Remington fan, just bought a 6.5 Creed tac, shoots to 1/2".
What I haven't seen anyone mention is the Howa, I just tuned one abd it shot 1" Moa with factory ammo. I had one with the Vanguard in 7mm RM that shot very well also. I know guys are buying them as a barreled action to shoot PRS.

I have a pss in 223 and one in 308 that both shoot cheap factory ammo at 1/2" or better. I bought reloading components for both of them but haven't found a reason to bother.

Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!
Take a look at Howa rifles...great accuracy great price....leave you lots for a scope...there...look at Athlon and Hawke

Just putting in another mention for the Model 70 because I'm shocked I didn't see it mentioned until page 6. (Although I was just skimming the comments) The Featherweight rifles are great for under 1k.

I agree with buying a Browning but I think the Stainless Stalker would be my pick. I have an A-Bolt SS and I love it! Looks great with the Sightron Big Sky (3-9x50). It is light enough for this old man to carry around all day. Next Coyote I shoot with it will be #83. Season opens in a month and I can't wait.

X-bolt Hells Canyon Speed gets my vote. Light, accurate, shoulders nice, factory cerakote and factory brake. Should be right at 1k street price.

I have 2 x-bolts.very accurate. My only gripe is the browning magazines are problematic. Worst with the 300 win mag.

I'll throw my .02 in the mix. I'm a Mauser and Model 70 fan, and continue to use them for all my rifles (with the exception of an excellent and accurate Montana Rifle Co. - which also uses the 3 position safety and claw extractor). First ceterfire rifle was a700 BDL in '06. The rifle was accurate, but for some reason, most likely the stock, pounded the snot out of me. I shot a friend's Model 70 in 300 Win Mag, and it didn't have the same "ouch" factor. Traded it off, bought a Model 70 and never looked back.

As many others stated, everybody has their favorite "brand", and it's always the best. Many other wise members have stated what I believe as well. All of the rifles you are looking at will do the job, with the accuracy you need...although you may have to try different bullets to find out what your particular rifle likes best. Pick the rifle up, close your eyes and shoulder it. Then open them. How does the stock fit you? What feels good to you? You Can always buy aftermarket parts/stock, but then there goes your budget. McMillan stocks are near $500.

The better call is to buy the best optics you can afford. If you want to stay around 2 grand complete, that Nightforce NX8 is out. There's your 2 grand right there. A most excellent scope, to be sure. I own two, and LOVE them. They are heavier than many other scopes too. My two favorite rifles wear them, and I put up with the extra weight for the quality of the optic. My favorite caliber of choice is a 280 Ackley. I use it for just about everything. That said, ammo can be an issue finding it, if you don't reload. But that is changing. For an all around cartridge, you cannot go wrong with a 270 or 30/06. Ammo is everywhere. Either will slay any beast on the continent, sans maybe the big bears, which a larger caliber would be a prudent choice if that is what you're after.

One last nugget to throw in... My nephew wants to go hunting, so to start him out, I purchased a Tikka T3x Superlite in 6.5 Creedmore and topped it with Vortex 4-16 x 42. Took it to the range to get it sighted in for him, so I can deliver a ready to go Christmas present for next years hunt. Darn thing really shoots! Less than 3/4" at 100 yards, factory ammo. And under $1000, total package! Darn thing shoots as well as my custom rifles at 4 times the cost, no scope.

Many of us here are not happy with one rifle, and must keep searching for the ever elusive perfect rifle/ca
Iber...but that's half the fun! Get the one YOU like best. Whichever you choose, I'm certain you'll be happy with it.
Thanks for the honest feedback. Especially about going with what I like best. It's so easy to get wrapped up in what everyone else thinks! I have access to great deals on NF, so that is definitely it for me as far as glass. For the rifle, it's either going to be a Tikka T3X in 308 to keep costs down, or Christensen Mesa in 300WM. Of course, with all of this excellent info, that may change ten times haha.