Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

I might saying something you already know (or do) but when I'm looking for a factory rifle and I'm not already 100% sure of what I want, I develop a list of requirements: "must haves" and "nice to haves" (call them whatever you like). Price is one, weight could be another, action type, degrees of bolt rotation (based on your scope it could be a factor), floated barrel, lapped barrel, compensated and/or threaded barrel, trigger type, stock type, rifle finish, magazine fed, so on and so forth. I like to define my requirements, research the rifles which fulfill them and try to go handle them all. As the list narrows I seek out opinions and see if I know anyone who has one I can shoot. The interesting thing about this process is every time I've done this I came away with a great rifle AND it was not the rifle I would have told you I thought I would be buying at the start of my search. As you said, if it's one thing everyone has, it's an opinion. I'm curious to know what you go with!
Cheers,
Nate
I like my Kimber Hunters light weight nice triggers magazine fed Mauser type action what's not to like

Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!

Good thread, lots of good options listed.

I have 3 that would fit your original ask and all 3 are 1/2 moa guns.

Browning X-bolt stalker
Christensen Mesa
Howa Alpine (no longer in production)

All 3 are toped with Talley rings and Leupold VX5's

Those are all short actions and I'm now on the prowl for a long action, I'm kind of waiting to see who picks up the new Nosler 27.

I have a custom built 26 Nosler on a rem 700, very nice shooter but heavy. bought a Kimber hunter in 270 for a very good price and like it very much sub 8 pounds with scope SIG BDX good shooter, Convinced me to buy to buy one in 280Ai. had it shortened about 4 inches and a factory brake installed, topped with Sig BDX 3.5-10 and then bought the BDX binos. get to try it out Sunday in Colorado By the way ill be 66 in the spring and probably last horseback hunt

Please see group from inexpensive Sako that is basically identical to a Tikka. Also note the photo of the Prime Minister of Finland. I am a buy American guy but sometimes there is great workmanship found elsewhere. View attachment 220148View attachment 220144
Very high quality and beautifully designed....... the rifle ain't bad either

Please see group from inexpensive Sako that is basically identical to a Tikka. Also note the photo of the Prime Minister of Finland. I am a buy American guy but sometimes there is great workmanship found elsewhere. View attachment 220148View attachment 220144
I want to move to Finland! This picture is a 7mm rem mag Tikka t3 lite blued barrel $ 413. with a Bell and Carlson stock $250. Hornady sst 162g, h4831 sc.

Attachments

• EB614F6A-AF13-4EB2-8F99-818F7FDDDFD9.jpeg
    EB614F6A-AF13-4EB2-8F99-818F7FDDDFD9.jpeg
    619.8 KB · Views: 75
I see your point, I was looking more for general purpose. With that said, I would prefer something lightweight as I will be walking a lot.

From what I read you were pretty clear about the rifle you were looking for with you original post, elk, 500 yards or less, doesn't have to be a tack driver, around the $1000 benchmark. With a thread like this, there will be a lot of opinions and you will get a lot of information. There will be a lot of experts, with their expert information that will conflict with other experts and their expert information/suggestions; all given with good intentions. I suggest that you sort through it, get what you can from the thread, do your research and then make your decision, it's your rifle for your purposes. I am a fan of Rugers, so my two cents worth. The Ruger Hawkeye Hunter is something that piqued my interest, also seems to fit what you are looking for. It is in stainless, walnut stock, comes in a variety of cartridges and calibers that would be ideal for the type of hunting that you would like to do, MSRP is $1099 meaning in the $800-900 range (your budget) if you do your shopping. If I were elk hunting it would be 30-06, 7mmRemMag or 300WinMag. The 7mmRemMag and the 300WinMag come with a 24 inch barrel so as to get the magnum out of the magnum cartridge. I wouldn't consider this rifle to be "light weight", however average weight for a hunting rifle. In my opinion light weight, accuracy and price are not synonymous. When one gets into carbon fiber components the price tag increases triple fold. Good luck with your elk hunt.

Tikka Roughtech Hard to beat for $800 street price. Mine is 300WM weighs exactly7 7lbs on the dot. Shoots very well, cleans super easy for hammer forged. I would spend the extra $25 on the pistol grip

Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!
There are many good rifles in this category but you should carry and shoot each one you are considering as they are all slightly different and can make the difference of liking or tolerating whichever gun you end up with.
I bought a Tikka T3X which is a good rifle but does not carry well in my hands. I like the Sako but not the price so opted for a Remington 700 ss which I have customized. Both rifles were shooting 1" groups.
Good luck

Recent Posts