Tools of the trade.

Ohlongarm

I want to make sure, I carry the bare essentials,whether coyote hunting or groundhogs,this is the usual,Halo 750 rangefinder,a must have,Primos tripod Gen 3 best one I've ever owned,comfortable chair Cabelas has a good one shown here ,and a straight shooting WSM 17 caliber with a lot of scope,in this case a Weaver Grand Slam 4X16,this will enable you to hit a fat boy shown here at 140 yards,and Furthest kill to date with the 17 WSM,so far it's performed flawlessly. I'm still getting the feel for it,however in my hands I believe it's a 200 yard coyote and varmint rig. Fat boy was hit in the shoulder and the round exited out between his eyes.Only missing piece of equipment are the 10X binoculars
tool.jpg
tool1.jpg
tool2.jpg
,and 60 power Leupold spotting scope,no need when shots are only 200 max.

Nice ! Issues with the Primos are getting water in it, note how the leg joints are upside down, it will freeze and not move when it's cold and/or rust and slip or bind when it is warm. Keep it dried out and they are great ! I use the bipod trigger stick for seated coyote stands and it works great. Store it upside down and warm to dry it out if it gets wet.

Nice ! Issues with the Primos are getting water in it, note how the leg joints are upside down, it will freeze and not move when it's cold and/or rust and slip or bind when it is warm. Keep it dried out and they are great ! I use the bipod trigger stick for seated coyote stands and it works great. Store it upside down and warm to dry it out if it gets wet.
Thanks,I'll take your advice,it's a great bipod shot a GH today at 140 yds ,off it severed his spine,love that 17 WSM.I'll post a pic later.

^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^
Has happened to me as well. Just keep it outta the rain. Once the small parts, that allow the locking, rust they cannot be fixed.

Never thought of water getting in there. That's a money tip! The legs will also get sticky when they get a lot of dust in them.

Thanks,I'll take your advice,it's a great bipod shot a GH today at 140 yds ,off it severed his spine,love that 17 WSM.I'll post a pic later.
Here's the fields i hunt in shots are long,always over a hundred to 400,not far for some of you guys. see where the Gh have and are eating the beans, 870 acres,i take my atv with me it's so huge.This fat boy was at 140 ,i aimed for his armpit but the wind blew me off so his spine was cut in two.I'm really liking this 17wsm,but i need to start packing the 204,since 3 gh were out of range yesterday for the 17.

Attachments

• spine.jpg
    spine.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 122
  • spine1.jpg
    spine1.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 123
  • spine2.jpg
    spine2.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 120
  • spine3.jpg
    spine3.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 119
Man, do I wish I could hunt fields like you do! I took a friend out yesterday and rode for hours! we stopped at six farms and not only didn't we see any evidence of groundhogs, but got rejected by the owners! One guy did say we could hunt, but again, no signs. I'm in SW Va. and I used to hunt farms around here and even then, a good day may be six piggies. That's why I now go out West for prairie dogs! Oh, and I love my 17 WS 😁 M ,too!

Man, do I wish I could hunt fields like you do! I took a friend out yesterday and rode for hours! we stopped at six farms and not only didn't we see any evidence of groundhogs, but got rejected by the owners! One guy did say we could hunt, but again, no signs. I'm in SW Va. and I used to hunt farms around here and even then, a good day may be six piggies. That's why I now go out West for prairie dogs! Oh, and I love my 17 WS 😁 M ,too!
I was in Cana Va in May at a old time musical event Whitetop Mountain Band,and groundhogs were everywhere,people down there said I'd have no problem getting permission. Knocked on one door a doctors residence,only 40 acres but plenty gh's.Never made it back yet but maybe September. Cana is probably less than an hour from you?

Thanks for the intel on Cana! Yes, it's probably closer to 1 1/2 hours away. But if there's GHs, I'd travel! As most of my hunting farms are all about 45 min. to an hour, that ain't far at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.