Tools for field positions

That's an idea too. Seems, at the factory, they do put a small dab of white grease on the egg shaped cam inside the leg. It is just not enough to really shed water though. Problem is the cam pushes out things that are like mini brake pads. If you get grease on them, and the inside wall of the leg that they press against, then they won't grab.
Plus the whole thing is a real pain to take apart. it is not designed for disassembly.

Trigger sticks do work well, fast to deploy, and work for me standing at 6 ft 2 in. You just have to keep them from getting too wet. I don't use mine in rainy weather anymore. Drop one in a creek and your screwed.

All good points re taking the legs apart and grease affecting the internal holding power of the cams. I'm thinking about a Bog_Pod RLD-3, and just concealing the red on the legs. Many good things said about it in reviews. I already own one of the medium sized rear scissor type supports, but what used for a rear support can change with every shot. I prefer not to tote extraneous gear.

Last year I bought a Primos Jim Shockey Trigger Stick. I shot deer and coyotes off it from both sitting and standing, no problem.

This year I shot two deer while standing and using the trigger stick, one at about 100 yards and the next at just over 300 yards. Another deer I shot from standing at about 250 yards while bracing myself against a power pole in a pasture.

The only difference between last year and this year is that I used a "Ching Sling" as a support at the same time, for all shots. I could really get confidently steady with the sling. Using it in conjunction with a good rest made it like a rock.

Been using lite weight aluminum Stony Point adjustable shooting sticks for 20+ years work in any position I want from sitting to standing and Have made shots over 400 yards with them. For ME personally I want to carry as little with me as I can especially if hunting in high altitudes.

In the last 20+ years of hunting I am of the opinion bi-pods are less useful than good shooting sticks, there is no point in carrying both, and unless shooting prone a bi-pod is not any better than simply placing the forearm on a solid rest like a bolder or tree limb , where as my sticks allow a solid rest in all other than prone shooting and I can and have used my pack with great success if shooting prone.
I realize I am in the minority in my opinion.

Hell -- the older I get the less likely I can even get prone to use a bi-pod-- unless I've fallen down! Shooting sticks work better for me too!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.