Tooley Orion action pics as requested.

BountyHunter

Here are the pics of the new stainless steel Tooley action that several requested. This is one is a short action repeater 1.350 diameter with Rem footprint.

Comes in long or short, any bolt face, right or left port, single shot or repeater. Built by Stiller to Tooley specs. In single shot version it is a tight as the BAT. Receiver is set up for trued heavy pinned lug which Dave can provide.

Includes side bolt release as you can see.

Bolt is fluted, lapped, then melonite coated (surface hardened) to minimize wear on bolt face and smoothness. Bolt has smaller fiiring pin hole, smaller tip on a tricked out firing pin. Bolt handle is also threaded for aftermarket knobs but comes with a small tactical. This is larger knob I put on before I gave it to the the gunsmith.

He has them in stock for $825 and $30 for the pinned lug any bolt.

You cannot beat that deal and no way to rework a 700 for less money and never end up with near the quality.

Mine is being built as a 6.5x47 tactical with Krieger light palma in 8.7 twist, Tooley action, Stocky Hart LR stock, Wyatts detachable mag by Jeff Walker at Walker Custom Rifles here in Culpepper Va. He has built several rifles for guys here at this site.

Here is Dave Tooleys contact info email is [email protected] phone is (704) 864-7525

BH

click on pics to enlarge

Last edited:
wow good looking action... doesn't break the bank either. I like it.

Jeff Walker is a great guy (and gunsmith), the rifle he built me must have some voodoo magic in it, the bullets out of it are F-class X-ring-seeking!!

Looks just like Stillers Predator or Tac series actions. I know Stillers made it but what's so special about this one?

Kevin

Never said it was "special", did I?

However, it is a lot better, smoother, faster and cheaper, with more resale than a reworked Remington without any question, isn't it!

I am sure that Leonard Baity's is similar and probably built by Stiller too. Either way good options for an "in stock" action that is ready to go with no additional work.

However, according to Dave it is built to his specs which are a little tighter tolerances than the standard Predator which is .004-.006.

BH

Thanks BH. I knew some other guys were having Stillers make actions with their name on it and they're pretty much a carbon copy of a Predator ot Tac series. When you said it was to Dave's specs I wondered if there was anything special compared to the others. I'm sure it will be a shooter either way !! gun)

Re: Tooley Orion action

I bought an Orion from Dave Last year to build a rifle for a customer.

Yes, it is built by Stiller for Dave. To Daves specs.

My customer wanted a dual port action.

Jerry and Curtis at Stiller Precision will not make a single off.

Dave Tooly was nice enough to share with me one of his actions.

It made a fine rifle for my customer and did not break the bank.

I have almost quit truing Remington actions beacuse I can get a Stiller Predator, Kelbly Atlas, Pierce, Borden for about the same cost as truing a Remington.

Nat Lambeth

Iam liking the orion action,I wana be able to load the edge with 300 gr bullets ,Is there some sort of special think i have to have done to it so these bullets will fit in the magizine,i don't really want a single shot if i can help it ,and are these actions extra long ?

Jerry is sure getting his monies worth from the Predator Programming.

Yes Jerry will do a 1 off --- not a problem you just do not know how to ask...

All it takes is money---figure 100k will do it on a Predator!!

A SS 98 will be a whole lot more than that. I have begged him for years to do a 98 in CM or SS and he will not.

Iam liking the orion action,I wana be able to load the edge with 300 gr bullets ,Is there some sort of special think i have to have done to it so these bullets will fit in the magizine,i don't really want a single shot if i can help it ,and are these actions extra long ?

Put a Wyatts extended mag box on it. It is the mag box that limits you, not the action.

BH

Ok a wyatts extened box,sounds good, what do you guys thing blueprinted 700.or a custom Acton ,just want a serious long range gun so I can keep up with a couple friends of mine.

I just got my new build back a couple of weeks ago. I used the Tooley Orion action recommended by Bountyhunter. My smith and I both really liked the Tooley action, and he's a Benchrest guy. I think, for the money and availability, the Tooley will be hard to beat. I'm very satisfied with mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.