Tool Marks in Savage BA110 .338 Lapua Magnum Barrel??

I sent a rifle to Savage for repair after bore scoping the barrel (I believe about 3 yrs after purchase), questioning an issue with the leade. They replaced the barrel with a 2 mos turnaround. Replacement barrel shoots 3/4 moa.

I have identical rifle and have about 300 rounds down the pipe. I was cleaning it this weekend and decided to scope it. The barrel has line that go all the way around the barrel like it was made with a normal boring bar. Hard to describe but I'll post some photos when I get home!

When NSS first started I was getting into the switch barrel savage thing, he had many take-offs from breaking new savages down and selling actions, stocks, and barrels. I bought several actions, tactical and varmint to be specific, they were always closer in tolerance and specs as those type of buyers were demanding of accuracy. Savage knew this and the better actions made this cut. Stocks were stocks they were new you couldn't loose, barrels were a dice roll usually but much less money than aftermarket match barrels.

I bought 2 heavy varmint stainless fluted barrels and 1 black matte tactical, the two varmint barrels rocked. Easy to clean and very accurate one in the two's and the other three's, just what I hoped for, the tactical was horrible to look down with tool marks similar but not as bad as the one in this post. I figured you take what you get dealt and 2 out of 3 ain't bad. When I worked up a load for the rough barrel it started to shoot real well but I had to develop a real cleaning technique to get the jacket metals out. It took a nylon brush, barnes copper solvent, about 30-40 patches and 2 different bore solvents and after about 30 minutes it would come clean. My boy uses that gun to this day and after 400 rounds or so it's gotten a little better but it's still a bear to clean.

The interesting part is if you don't keep it clean accuracy goes away but with a worked up handload that runs the bullet only .008 off lands and 150 gr SMK or nosler accubonds it will shoot in the threes with amazing regularity. So yeah its rough, but it shoots good and he loves it. I did have the crown recut cause it would snag patches and q tips scary bad. I don't look down the bore anymore it is what it is, I just keep it clean and it does its part just like it was a match barrel :)

Here are those"grooves" I spoke of earlier.

Attachments

• 084A924D-D158-48D1-B1C2-9FFBDCBD956C.jpeg
    084A924D-D158-48D1-B1C2-9FFBDCBD956C.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 168
  • CCCFACE1-78B8-40E7-957A-8FD9A5831D39.jpeg
    CCCFACE1-78B8-40E7-957A-8FD9A5831D39.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 65E51EE7-086E-4337-9F6E-A415BDDA9A57.jpeg
    65E51EE7-086E-4337-9F6E-A415BDDA9A57.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 165
Yuppers,,, seems like the tool was jumping on the push or pull on the cutting...

What kind of accuracy can you get out of the rifle,,, I've seen some pretty crappy barrels over the years and alot of them seem to shoot fairly consistent from shot to shot over the season...

Your option to use what you have or find a replacement,,, I'd at least send the pictures to Savage with as much info you choose to share with them letting them know that you are a proud owner of their products,,, but your some what disapointed with this particular situation at had...

Theres nothing wrong with contacting them to see what they have to say...

Take a few more pictuers in different areas in the barrel as well,,, send a nice letter keeping to the point with quality words to see what they have to say...

If they insist on seeing the rifle them selves,,, ask if they will pick up the shipping costs both ways,,, let them know that you'll think about it in a few days if this is the plan...

I like the idea of no disrespect to whom your chatting with and at least sharing what you found in the rifle you bought and paid for...

Take the high road on this goes along ways...

I would think they would appreciate knowing what is going on at least,,, being fair to you and them that is...

From North of the 49th Don

If you get no satisfaction from the manufacturer, you might consider the David Tubb FinalFinish bullets to smooth out the tool marks. Should improve accuracy to a degree and reduce fouling a substantial amount.

If drill Mark's are left after bore reaming there typically look like a ring in a chamber were the bore reamer never reamed them out. Those little uniform Mark's are very typical of a bore reamer that has a very small nick in it.

As per email I just received:

I spoke to my head gunsmith in regards to this matter. He states that this is how our barrels should be. However, if you start to get grouping issues or anything you can always have the firearm sent in for repair.

What do you guys think?

Will the final finish bore kits really work on the drill marks, or do they just add bore wear to the barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts