Tool Marks in Savage BA110 .338 Lapua Magnum Barrel??

KSAv8r

I purchased a new Savage BA110 in .338 Lapua Magnum a couple years ago and went through normal barrel break-in and started doing load workup using Lapua brass, Federal #215 primers, Retumbo and Hornady 285gn ELD Match bullets. The barrel now has 120 rounds through it according to my records. I was never able to get much better than 1.5-2 MOA at 300 yards so put it on the shelf and moved on until I had more time to work with it. Recently I have seen several posts and recommendations on the Teslong borescope so ordered one. Today I put the scope down the barrel and it caused me some concern. Beginning approximately a 1/2" from the beginning of the riflings are what looks to me like tool marks. These repeat approximately ever 1/4"-3/8" for about 2 inches before they are less pronounced. Initially I thought this must be due to improper cleaning but after looking at them further it seems like some of them only cut through the rifling and some do not touch the rifling but are only seen on the lands (hope this terminology is correct).

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any idea what caused this? Could this be the cause of loss of accuracy? Thanks in advance for your insights.

338LM-1.jpg
338LM-3.jpg
338LM-4.jpg
338LM-5.jpg
338LM-6.jpg

You didn't do that I would say, they look like tooling or a worn-out button that they pull thru in the rifling process. I know some savage barrels are rough but nothing like that. I would contact them about what you are seeing wow.

I purchased a new Savage BA110 in .338 Lapua Magnum a couple years ago and went through normal barrel break-in and started doing load workup using Lapua brass, Federal #215 primers, Retumbo and Hornady 285gn ELD Match bullets. The barrel now has 120 rounds through it according to my records. I was never able to get much better than 1.5-2 MOA at 300 yards so put it on the shelf and moved on until I had more time to work with it. Recently I have seen several posts and recommendations on the Teslong borescope so ordered one. Today I put the scope down the barrel and it caused me some concern. Beginning approximately a 1/2" from the beginning of the riflings are what looks to me like tool marks. These repeat approximately ever 1/4"-3/8" for about 2 inches before they are less pronounced. Initially I thought this must be due to improper cleaning but after looking at them further it seems like some of them only cut through the rifling and some do not touch the rifling but are only seen on the lands (hope this terminology is correct).

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any idea what caused this? Could this be the cause of loss of accuracy? Thanks in advance for your insights.

View attachment 174767View attachment 174769View attachment 174771View attachment 174772View attachment 174773

Are the pictures after a thorough cleaning?

You didn't do that I would say, they look like tooling or a worn-out button that they pull thru in the rifling process. I know some savage barrels are rough but nothing like that. I would contact them about what you are seeing wow.

Hopefully, they will entertain it despite 120 rounds through it and 2 years later.

The barrel now has 120 rounds through it according to my records.

Are the pictures after a thorough cleaning?
The barrel was cleaned with Wipe-Out/Patch-Out (Sharp Shoot R Precision Products) followed with BoreShine. This is the first time I have had a borescope down the barrel so it looks like there is some copper still there.

Email those to Savage and ask for a new barrel
Wanted to get your all's expert collective input first since I know there is a lot of good expertise on this forum. I think I'll contact Savage early this coming week. Will keep you all informed on what they say.

You should contact the company right away. They want satisfied customers. It's a man-made item shituff happens

The barrel was cleaned with Wipe-Out/Patch-Out (Sharp Shoot R Precision Products) followed with BoreShine. This is the first time I have had a borescope down the barrel so it looks like there is some copper still there.

I would try cleaning it some more. During barrel break-in, I use the method in the video ...

... except I use http://www.montanaxtreme.com/ products. I apply the BoreShine when it is thoroughly cleaned.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If they won't do anything it has good accuracy for hunting. Everything with them involves sending them the rifle on your dime and waiting. I like their guns and its easy for me to get them shooting and work on them. I never rely on them however, a problem with a smokeless ml'er barrel got me the send it in we'll let you know offer that will be rejected if you have done any changes to the gun. Was easier to sell and move on, not soured on the product, just don't expect them to do much on their part that's all. I don't own a savage I haven't personalized :) hence they have no factory warranty. Dave

It is well known savage factory barrels have tooling Mark's, if it shoots 1 m.o.a I doudt they will do anything about it. Your probably gonna have to clean after about 20 rounds or its gonna be a copper mine.
You can contact them though it might be worth a shot.
Factory barrels for the most part have some tooling Mark's, some are just worse than others

This must be the reason I never got 3 of my savages to shoot..
Might look to replace it with a good prefit (if anyone makes one for a Lapua)

If you have ever had a chance to inspect lots of factory rifles (regardless of manufacturer) you will find these results with most of them believe it or not (at least in my case)

the worst I ever seen was from my model seven 222. when you inspect the bore it looks like your photos - however multiply that by every inch and you have a nice little pattern LOL! This gun needs cleaned religiously, but I don't mind. its a factory gun.

ive found its just a by product of a massed produced firearm.

In cases like the above in Savage rifle barrels, who makes a good pre-chambered barrel that won't break the bank. Action is a 110 tactical short action and I would like a little more thump than a 6.5 creedmoor (that it is now), but want to stick to the 6.5 caliber and a 1-8 twist. Would like Velocity to be somewhere around 3000 to 3100 FPS. Sorry not trying to hijack thread

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.