Tool for measuring from the bottom of the lock ring on a full lengths sizing die to the bottom of the die.

Go/no go gauges for your cartridge are handy for resetting the die. I have a set for most of my rifles anyway because Savage.

I make dummy rounds with the case full of jbweld or epoxy for each gun I load for as well. Seat the bullet exactly where you want, flip it over and drill the primer pocket out and fill it up! Leaving it in the box with the dies.

Last edited:
Go/no go gauges for your cartridge are handy for resetting the die. I have a set for most of my rifles anyway because Savage.

I make dummy rounds with the case full of jbweld or epoxy for each gun I load for as well. Seat the bullet exactly where you want, flip it over and drill the primer pocket out and fill it up! Leaving it in the box with the dies.
Ok biff.. I'll be easy on ya! LOL

Why should I fill up the case ? And from time to time OAL changes, and has to checked occasionally. What's the deal resetting the die with go/no go gauges?

Ok biff.. I'll be easy on ya! LOL

Why should I fill up the case ? And from time to time OAL changes, and has to checked occasionally. What's the deal resetting the die with go/no go gauges?

I fill them so I cant push the bullet in withthe seater stem or bump the shoulder.

go Gauge is steel and same every time as opposed to either setting It on a case or going by the jam nut.

Ok I follow so you cannot push the bullet by accident, got it. I make a dummy round with slots, excellent idea ! However erosion is a factor.

I just measure the fire formed case and zero the caliper, and bump accordingly with a feeler gauge on my shell holder. So you recommend a nogo to set the die and bump from there ?

Ok I follow so you cannot push the bullet by accident, got it. I make a dummy round with slots, excellent idea ! However erosion is a factor.

I just measure the fire formed case and zero the caliper, and bump accordingly with a feeler gauge on my shell holder. So you recommend a nogo to set the die and bump from there ?

I use the green go gauge. Sammi min chamber spec. I Dont have to get out any tools to set lee dies (stupid rubber band) if you already have the gauges. I chamber barrels just short of bolt close on a no go and setting the die with a go gives me the same bit of pressure at the end of bolt close on loaded rounds.
I can feel when it's time to anneal brass because the extra spring in the case makes the bolt get tighter, earlier.

I use the green go gauge. Sammi min chamber spec. I Dont have to get out any tools to set lee dies (stupid rubber band) if you already have the gauges. I chamber barrels just short of bolt close on a no go and setting the die with a go gives me the same bit of pressure at the end of bolt close on loaded rounds.
I can feel when it's time to anneal brass because the extra spring in the case makes the bolt get tighter, earlier.
I just dropped my Go gauge in my dillion case gauge and it drops below the high step which is minimum HS.

Besides..... What you chamber your chambers to isn't what others chamber to. My max HS on a fire formed case is 2.047. SAMMI is 2.048. I back it off to 2.045 and the bolt comes down, without the firing pin assembly, very little resistance but just enough.

I'm just trying to find a better way of bumping my shoulders back consistently without resorting to trial and error. Lapua brass is neither cheap nor abundant. The depth mic is the best solution. I tried flipping the calipers over but it wasn't consistent enough. Thank you!
The best tool I've found to do what you want is the PMA die adjuster. It's an excellent tool and can adjust to .0005". I have one on every sizing die, but you can move it from die to die. It has good instructions to set up.Turn clockwise to lessen bump and counter clockwise to bump more. Tighter the lower ring very snug to press prior to adjusting top ring to desired bump. Use a different case each time while adjusting.

The downside is the $75 price, but it was worth it to me. Got expensive for me, as I decided not to move it from die to die. PMA does put them on sale once or twice a year.

DSCN1338web__52835.1497551526.jpg

That's a good idea! Someone had posted somewhere a page you can print and cut out for dies! Costs very little