Tool for bullet run-out & neck thickness?

If you have varying neck thickness, you don't know if your run-out is due to distorted necks or neck thickness. Misshapen brass causes the same problem.

Follow what Mikecr told you, he is correct. You need a ball mic to measure neck walls, and a concentricity guage for that purpose. No such thing as one tool fits all.

I have the Holland concentricity guage, and it works well, but I think the Sinclair may be a better tool.

What would be a good ball mic for neck thickness for a good price? Frankford Arsenal, Holland, Lyman??

I can't afford most of them on Sinclair's web site:(

Stalker

This is a rundown of most of what's out there:
Tools for Measuring Case Neckwalls

If I were you, I'd stay away from thickness measurements with indicators though.
Something the article also missed is that you must have a means of setting depth from the case mouth, for the inner contact. Otherwise, on unturned brass, your measurements would not be at a consistent point around the neck.
With the Sinclair models you can drop washers over the anvil as a case mouth stop.

These things aren't cheap. But if you want straight brass, or tighter neck tolerances, it ain't gonna happen by chance. To find the best brass, it has to be measured with precision.

Check on e-bay for "tubing micrometer" that measures down to .224" diameter tubes. Years ago, I bought a Starrett for $35.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.