Tool for bullet run-out & neck thickness?

SQ Stalker

I'm trying to find one tool that will measure seated bullet run-out and also measure the variances in neck thickness??

From what I've found there's a foster and RCBS tool that does both. The V-Blocks on the RCBS tool look cheesey to me:rolleyes: MidwayUSA - RCBS Case Master Concentricity Gaging Tool

I like the Sinclair tool w/ the ball bearings but it doesn't measure differences in neck thickness. Concentricity Gauges - Sinclair Concentricity Gage with dial indicator

The Foster tool looks like it would do the trick but I haven't heard of any body using it? Concentricity Gauges - Forster Co-Ax Case and Cartridge Inspector

Is there a precision tool that will measure bullet run-out and case neck uniformity with repeatable measurements?

Stalker

The NECO tool may do a good job of both, but it's expensive. It may be cheaper, easier and produce better results to use the Sinclair run-out gauge and an inexpensive ball micrometer.

That might be an option. Where can I find the NECO tool?

Ideally I'd like to check neck variations w/ a dial indicator while turning the case. I'd think this would give more info than just a mic.

Also which is considered more important to group size, Bullet run-out or neck variations?

Thanks

Stalker

Last edited:
I have a friend here in South Africa who makes one. Works great. I find it peculiar that it's not more widely offered.

Redding makes a neck wall thickness tool with a dial indicator on it. Sinclair sells those.

D. Holland also makes a Concentricity Gauge that looks quite nice. Probably up there with the Sinclair.

I have a friend that HAD the RCBS but as was state the design of it leaves a lot to be desired. Replaced with the Sinclair. GTG.

Ideally I'd like to check neck variations w/ a dial indicator while turning the case. I'd think this would give more info than just a mic.

This is not true at all. You will not produce consistent & accurate thickness readings with a dial indicator. Go with a ball mic for this.

IMO, when it's all tried & trued, you'll end up with Sinclair concentricity and thickness variance tools, as they are the best.

I'm trying to find one tool that will measure seated bullet run-out and also measure the variances in neck thickness??

From what I've found there's a foster and RCBS tool that does both. The V-Blocks on the RCBS tool look cheesey to me:rolleyes: MidwayUSA - RCBS Case Master Concentricity Gaging Tool

I like the Sinclair tool w/ the ball bearings but it doesn't measure differences in neck thickness. Concentricity Gauges - Sinclair Concentricity Gage with dial indicator

The Foster tool looks like it would do the trick but I haven't heard of any body using it? Concentricity Gauges - Forster Co-Ax Case and Cartridge Inspector

Is there a precision tool that will measure bullet run-out and case neck uniformity with repeatable measurements?

Stalker
These were the two that looked the best to me.
The Neeco one looks good as well.
I have been trying to talk with somebody who uses them.
H&H Concentricity Gauge « AccurateShooter.com Bulletin
kontakt Does not do case wall but looks like a good way to work on straightening loaded or factory ammo.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you could only afford one right now would the concentricity tools do a better job to eliminate flyers/help accuracy?

Then later get the tools for neck variance?

Also with a factory barrel will sorting either of these variables really have an impact? Or would it be wise to wait until next year when I get a custom barrel and then start looking at neck concentricity/ bullet run-out and neck variances?

Thanks for the suggestions. If you could only afford one right now would the concentricity tools do a better job to eliminate flyers/help accuracy?

Then later get the tools for neck variance?

Also with a factory barrel will sorting either of these variables really have an impact? Or would it be wise to wait until next year when I get a custom barrel and then start looking at neck concentricity/ bullet run-out and neck variances?

I'd say to get the concentricity gauge, you can address a lot of concentricity issues without purchasing additional tools. About the only thing you can do to address neck thickness issues is to either get different brass or turn your necks. Turning necks isn't normally indicated unless you have a custom chamber.

AJ

Roll your loaded ammo across a glass topped table. If you can't find discernible run-out, you don't need a gauge.

Variation in wall thickness is best cured by purchasing better brass, or simply culling lesser brass. The ball micrometer is the proper tool. Both Lyman and Graf have an inexpensive one, probably out of the same Chinese factory.

If the sizing stem in your die is crooked, it will bend the brass necks. Straighten the stem or use a Lee collet die (possibly fraught with its own ills). If the bullets aren't seating straight, seat in steps while rotating the cartridge.

Your wisest purchase at the moment would be Glen Zediker's Handloading for Competition. Get it before you build a custom gun. A factory rifle is not going to respond very much to tweaks. Making sure you have straight ammo is probably the most important. Variation in wall thickness influences neck tension. Centering the cartridge in a factory chamber won't gain anything. The necks are turned to fit brass to a custom chamber, and with good brass no-turn chambers are gaining favor.

After you've moved to a custom barrel, more involved techniques will prove their worth.

Last edited:
I think I'll get the sinclair tool when funds permit and go from there.

What is an acceptable run-out for a seated bullet?

Thanks

Stalker

I think I'll get the sinclair tool when funds permit and go from there.

What is an acceptable run-out for a seated bullet?

Thanks

Stalker

I seperate anything that is .002" or greater total runout (actual runout would be 1/2 of that). I spin the bullet and if the dial varies more than .002", the brass is marked and it is stored seperately.

Before I got the concentricity gauge, I had some reloads that shot lights out in my 7mm Rem Mag. When I got the gauge, I measured them and they were out as much as .008" but still shot around 1/2-3/4 moa. I looked at my process and got the runout down to .002" or less and have shot a couple sub 1/4moa groups since then!

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.