Took the plunge V3 Autotickler

Rusty85

So I took the plunge and bought a v3 autotickler and throw with an A&D fx120i. And I have a couple questions for current owners.
Can someone share is dimensions of the unit?
Also I see most are using a line conditioner, is it a necessity?
Thanks

Last edited:
So I took the plunge and bought a v3 autotickler and throw with an A&D fx120i. And I have a couple questions for current owners.
Can someone share is dimensions of the unit?
Also I see most are using a line conditioner, is it a necessity?
Thanks
Don't have exact dimensions but like 6x6 with the trickler to the side. It's tall with the auto trickler and powder tube. I don't use a line conditioner. Main thing to me is no drafts at all. It's very sensitive. I just plug it in for about 20 minutes and then start. Some guys get 2 powder scoops to speed things up but I just use one.
Once you get it set up and figure out a routine, it's great. The app works well also.

I leave 2 window panels in to cut down of the drafts...leave the back one open for the trickler and the right side open to put the cup on and off. I use a Lee scoop that is a few grains below each charge. Once I found the right scoop and leveled them, it takes me no time to do it. I don't use a conditioner either, but i do have it running through a surge protector.

Some people use 3 windows. One on the left, one on the back, and then the third on the right but dremmel out a slot for the trickler tube to fit thru on the right side. Then the front open.

I've got my A&D FX120i set on a mouse pad with the Auto-trickler set next to it. With the Autothrow on the Gen 3, you shouldn't need to mess with a charge scoop as the main charge dispenser has worked well for me with charges ranging from 45 acp pistol to .338 Edge. As others have said, you need to be aware of drafts, whether from windows or HVAC.

I'm also using the Area 419 pan, cup and funnel system. I'm not saying they're worth the extra cash and that you should rush out and get them. You will probably experience small amount of random powder spillage that you'll have to deal with. You will also need to come up with your preferred means of dumping the powder charge into different size case mouths. When I had the Autotrickler V1, I used to use the little Lyman powder cup with an integral funnel but that really isn't an option with the Autothrow as you will likely experience excessive spillage when the initial charge is thrown.

When I first got my Autothrow, I misunderstood Adam's design intent for emptying the powder cylinder. I was used to the old manual powder charge dispensers and so I just picked the whole unit up to dump it back in the powder storage canister. The design intent is to twist the powder cylinder to close a dump valve and then just lift the powder cylinder to empty it. Putting a mark on the base of the autothrow and powder cylinder helped me verify whether the valve is fully open or closed. I maybe the only one who ever made this operational mistake but that is what happens sometimes when you get old and get used to doing things a certain way.

Over all, I will say congratulations on purchasing a quality set up. I have over 10,000 charges on my Gen 3 set up and it's still working great for me.

Last edited:
Thanks I've got a few of the area419 accessories coming as well. I did the funnel, cup, clear lid and the tickler base. I was going to get the pan but they're out of stock on it.

If you have the 419 cup, then I think it makes the pan worth getting as it makes centering the cup pretty much a mindless activity. I'd be interested in whether the 419 trickler base eliminates the random small spills. I have assumed they come from dumping the charge and not the autotrickler and if so, it might not do much but make it easier to place the autotrickler.

If you let the scale warm up for 20 minutes or so prior to use and you have decently stable voltage and no stray signals you should be fine without a line conditioner. I have mine on a subpanel that has an air conditioner and a refrigerator/freezer cycling on the circuit and it caused a little drift on the scale prior to running it through a LC1200 (Tripp-lite) conditioner. I also use it as a surge protector in case of moderate voltage spikes. I leave mine plugged in all the time so I feel more comfortable with the LC1200; a lightning hit on the branch line would likely defeat it though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.