Took most the season but elk down

Thank you sir, it was a tough decision to make but she made a step and dropped her head back down eating and I squeezed off as she did. I had given her a few steps to turn broadside but with every step she made the quartering away got worse. I know the rifle very well. I've shot to 1500 yards with this rig and I'm very confident on paper. Looking back I wish I would have taken the shot at 1184 yards just because of everything being in my favor with wind conditions. But I harvested a beautiful cow and have meet in the freezer so what more could a guy ask for.

Great job and a great write up. The quartering away moving target is a very tough shot to make once you get beyond 300yds. Quartering away uphill is even tougher.

Congrats.

WTG Eric!

I know exactly what you mean about spending lots of time and hard work going after them.

Enjoy some good eats off your fine harvest. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Ed

I really wanted to test the targets first so I picked some up and worked up a load and was extremely happy with my accuracy and the same with performance on game.

Hope to snag a few wolves with it to see the affects. I have to get out of the big game hunting mode aka(shot placement) and switch to the wolf hunting mode... Fur and boom!!:D

Cool keep us posted

Congrats on your persistence and fine shooting when you did get the chance.

Its really sad that we have to put this much effort into getting a cow elk. Won't be to long and our game populations will be a memory on public land anyway.

Congrats on your persistence and fine shooting when you did get the chance.

Its really sad that we have to put this much effort into getting a cow elk. Won't be to long and our game populations will be a memory on public land anyway.

+1 Kirby. Well said

I tucked the crosshairs right behind her front left shoulder at a hard quartering away shot and sent it away. She dumped like a ton of bricks, I followed her as she was sliding down through the bottom of the opening without even a twitch of movement.

Perfect!! Congrats on some great shooting and knowing how to place a bullet.

Way to go and a huge congrats.

Jeff

Congrats and I know as well what a tough season it was. I agree with Kirby shooting a cow elk should not have to be what it is today. Especially after what things were just a few years ago. This state has to do away with a few things some we are trying to control, But one has to be getting rid of shooting two elk a person that is still going on in a lot of areas.

Congrats and I know as well what a tough season it was. I agree with Kirby shooting a cow elk should not have to be what it is today. Especially after what things were just a few years ago. This state has to do away with a few things some we are trying to control, But one has to be getting rid of shooting two elk a person that is still going on in a lot of areas.

Each area needs managed based on it's carrying capacity not a blanket management, there are areas that have more elk than ever others nearly no elk just depends on where your at, the management area I hunt and live in is well over the management goal, almost double at the 2013 count, and we have a pile of elk and as such we do kill two, those areas can and have been maintaining that kind of harvest for years but we also have good terrain for killing wolves so they are much more in check than most areas in MT.

Each area needs managed based on it's carrying capacity not a blanket management, there are areas that have more elk than ever others nearly no elk just depends on where your at, the management area I hunt and live in is well over the management goal, almost double at the 2013 count, and we have a pile of elk and as such we do kill two, those areas can and have been maintaining that kind of harvest for years but we also have good terrain for killing wolves so they are much more in check than most areas in MT.

I agree with what you are saying. Sorry I varied from the purpose of the thread.

I agree 100%!! The Fwp is our worst enemy with the elk. The biologist we have in this area does not do her job in the least bit!! The wardens will even tell you this. It is pretty apparent when they continue to issue multiple tags per person. There is no nock or cranny I wasn't in up in the area I was hunting this year. I had little success with finding anything! Yet when I called and spoke with the biologist she told me there was a thousand head in that mountain range.... Correction, there hasn't been a thousand head in that area in 5 years and along with several packs of wolves running the area that they will refuse to admit that are there have played a big roll.

No no!! This talk is absolutely fine!! You can hijack my posts any day with talk of wolf killing or about our messed up management program.

I agree with what you are saying. Sorry I varied from the purpose of the thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.