Took most the season but elk down

500mag_guy

Well as many of the Montanans know elk hunting has taken a huge turn for the worst in the last 5+ years. The wolves have dropped our elk population to slim pickin's. Last years was rough and this year was even worse!

I can honestly say I seen less than 50 elk this whole season and that's pushing it. Most in groups of 2 or 3 and a few groups between 5-12 head. Most through the spotting scope at a mile plus right before dusk.

I finally found a group of 3 cows bedded down in some thick timber from a ridge top through my spotting scope at well over a mile. I had about 1:30 hours before end of shooting light to make two large ridges that were between us. I packed everything back into my backpack and off I went. I made it to where there was one last ridge between us and they had started feeding up the ridge away from me. I ranged them and we were at 1184 yards. Conditions were unusually perfect not a breath of wind and 30*. But due to the shortage of elk I'd seen this season and how late it was in the day I made the decision not to take any chances and close the gap a little.

As I made it to the top if my final ridge I couldn't pick them out. Nothing.... I was starting to worry they had feed them selfs over the ridge. Just then I picked one on the cows walking across a very small opening just down from the sky line.

I dropped down, set up my rifle, ranged her at 712 yards, checked my slope at 5*, and no wind. Went to grab my calculator to get an adjustment and nothing... I had left it in the truck that morning.. I figured with 5* slope if I adjusted to 700 yard on my turret it'd be money! I adjusted and got ready for the shot, nothing but a hind end left in the opening but the head of another cow was working her way into the opening I double checked range and it was the same. She worked into the opening but was quartering away hard!

I tucked the crosshairs right behind her front left shoulder at a hard quartering away shot and sent it away. She dumped like a ton of bricks, I followed her as she was sliding down through the bottom of the opening without even a twitch of movement.

I hightailed it over there and made it to her just before end of shooting light. Then the work all started.

Bullet placement was absolutely perfect, right where I sent it behind the left front shoulder and it exited through the base of the neck right side. Taking out the top of the heart and destroying her neck/spine.

After the two buddies who came up to help get her out, the elk and I made it back to the truck I checked my calculator it see how close I was with my adjustment call... Perfect!! All the practice pays off that's for sure!

Rifle is a custom 300 ultra mag pushing 230gr Berger Targets.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 113
Great post and shot! Good decision on the range and corrections. Congratulations on a very tough hunting season. How did you like the 230 Target on your elk?

Absolutely sold!! I was kind of nervous using the 230 Targets on game but without a doubt an excellent choice! The amount of shock this bullet released on the elk is absolutely crazy.

Great post and shot! Good decision on the range and corrections. Congratulations on a very tough hunting season. How did you like the 230 Target on your elk?

Absolutely sold!! I was kind of nervous using the 230 Targets on game but without a doubt an excellent choice! The amount of shock this bullet released on the elk is absolutely crazy.

For long tissue distances with an elk I would agree. Like any bullet shot placement is critical. Again, good job and it sounds like a fun hunt.

Congrats. I am always torn about using "target" bullets on game and always want to switch but some of my loads are so good and performance is as well that I can't seem to do it. Glad others seem to agree.

I really wanted to test the targets first so I picked some up and worked up a load and was extremely happy with my accuracy and the same with performance on game.

Hope to snag a few wolves with it to see the affects. I have to get out of the big game hunting mode aka(shot placement) and switch to the wolf hunting mode... Fur and boom!!:D

Congrats. I am always torn about using "target" bullets on game and always want to switch but some of my loads are so good and performance is as well that I can't seem to do it. Glad others seem to agree.

Entrance side of body

image.jpg

Tons of energy was released upon impact as you can see.. Didn't lose hardly any meat. A small amount of the front shoulder on the entrance side was lost even though it wasn't hit. If you look very closely I have a yellow pen in the entrance hole.

Great job and a great write up. The quartering away moving target is a very tough shot to make once you get beyond 300yds. Quartering away uphill is even tougher.

Congrats.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.