Too much horsepower for coyote?

If you really want to save a pelt, use a 17 rem and shoot 30grn bullets? They punch a nice little hole and makes Jello out of the inside.

Xdeano
I always thought the 17 was a bit light for 'yotes. I have a Savage Model 93R17-BVSS .17 HMR that is a flat tack driver. I just wish that I could use it shooting 300 yds at my range.

17hmr pushing the 17grn or 20grn are to light and slow for Coyotes. The 17hmr is a varmint bullet, not really suited for predators. Can it be done? Sure but not the best choice. I have however shot plenty of fox with the 20grn 17hmr though under 150yds. Coyotes require a centerfire 17 that can establish velocities pushing a heavier more structurally compatable bullet for Coyotes. I'm running a 30grn Nagel bullet at 3900fps out of my 17 rem. It does the job, but I keep my shots under 250yds. They make for a great early season gun before the coyotes in my area get educated, then I'll move up to a heavy 22cal, then to a 6mm once we get into a little more distance. Then come spring I'll switch to a 6.5 because there isn't a pelt value.

Xdeano

I always thought the 17 was a bit light for 'yotes. I have a Savage Model 93R17-BVSS .17 HMR that is a flat tack driver. I just wish that I could use it shooting 300 yds at my range.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.