Too much horsepower for coyote?

If i was hunting specifically for fur then I'd be looking at a .17 cal, 20 cal or 22 cal on the heaviest side. I'd take a peak at 17 rem or 17 hornet (looking st getting a 17 hornet for fur friendly gun), a 204 ruger with 32gr vmax, or 45gr soft points or 20 vartarg (little slower then 204 which could do well with a heavier bullet) and currently shooting the 20 tac with 39gr blitzkings. Working great but might try 35gr Bergers for a little more fur friendly.

If you aren't overly worried about fur And looking to use a 7mm then I'd probably use a heavier bullet and strong design like a Barnes or nosler bullet, maybe Bergers in the 180's and back down some speed

Agreed. But with the 7mm or .270 the while shots pencil through with the 130 or 140 grain Noslers, many times a rib gets slapped hard enough to create a long hole in the hide so you have to sew those up which is always a pain. At least if using your lighter .22 or .17 caliber rifles that is not so much an issue, which is my reason for the use of the .22-250 (all I had then) with the Sierra Matchkings. Way back then there were none of the newer varmint bullets you are talking about and I do not bother with coyotes much these days, but concentrate on getting my share of wolf pelts and for them I use a .308 with Sierra 110 grain hollow points. The coyotes I have taken with those were mostly head shots at closer ranges while coming in to a call in brushy areas.

For .22 calibers like the .22-250 try the Sierra 52 grain matchkings. They are what I used to use when I wanted pelt damage to be minumized. Note however that I was calling them in and did not need the fastest load either. Most shots were well under 150 yards, a result of calling them out of heavily vegetated river bottoms onto open areas where I had set up. Certainly if you load these up to a hot load there will be lot of pelt damage, so adjust your load to your real needs. Hopefully you use a scope that is easy to dial in and reliable, so if a long shot is needed just goto your hot load and dial in the correction and the up and shoot it. Then remember to adjust it back to your zero, which for me was 100 yards.
All this talk about toooooo much gun or bullet is funny... Try what you have, if it holds one MOA groups and you think it works then use it..
If you want the fur use a trap or try other guns for your-self, I do it for the challenge and fun of shooting..
What gun???Try one of all you can get after all (He who has the most toys WINS..)

Agreed. But with the 7mm or .270 the while shots pencil through with the 130 or 140 grain Noslers, many times a rib gets slapped hard enough to create a long hole in the hide so you have to sew those up which is always a pain. At least if using your lighter .22 or .17 caliber rifles that is not so much an issue, which is my reason for the use of the .22-250 (all I had then) with the Sierra Matchkings. Way back then there were none of the newer varmint bullets you are talking about and I do not bother with coyotes much these days, but concentrate on getting my share of wolf pelts and for them I use a .308 with Sierra 110 grain hollow points. The coyotes I have taken with those were mostly head shots at closer ranges while coming in to a call in brushy areas.

Where do you live that you get to hammer wolves? Been seeing more and more wolves in Central Washington, but only get to look. No shooting allowed. Supposedly, there's been hunters in the area who've been chased by them. Wouldn't mind having a wolf pelt

Where do you live that you get to hammer wolves? Been seeing more and more wolves in Central Washington, but only get to look. No shooting allowed. Supposedly, there's been hunters in the area who've been chased by them. Wouldn't mind having a wolf pelt

Northern British Columbia, Canada. Lots of wolves to hunt here. Even down in our agricultural areas.

All this talk about toooooo much gun or bullet is funny... Try what you have, if it holds one MOA groups and you think it works then use it..
If you want the fur use a trap or try other guns for your-self, I do it for the challenge and fun of shooting..
What gun???Try one of all you can get after all (He who has the most toys WINS..)
I do in fact shoot coyotes with whatever I have in my hand. I no longer bother with their pelts. The last three wolves I shot with the .308 were running straight away up a frozen river. Nothing left of those pelts to fuss over. Fine by me.

I do in fact shoot coyotes with whatever I have in my hand. I no longer bother with their pelts. The last three wolves I shot with the .308 were running straight away up a frozen river. Nothing left of those pelts to fuss over. Fine by me.
Where I live when it comes to wolves we have a saying about the three s's (shoot shovel and shut-up)Wolves what a game killer..

I've tried a lot of different cartridge/bullet combos trying to preserve the fur while killing coyotes. 204 with either 32gr vmax or 40gr vmax blow holes in them under 200yds. So doesn't a 22-250 out to 250yds. 17hmr you have to shoot them in the head. 308 with 155 scenars just pencil through. The best is 168 a max, makes a 1.5" hole no matter if you shoot them at 50 feet or 550 yds. I recently tried a 90gr BlitzKing out of my 257wby at 3450fps, it dropped the coyote dead at 100 yds—no exit wound. I'm not kidding. Surprised me, I thought it would cut them I half. Need to try it some more to see if it was a fluke or not.

I've tried a lot of different cartridge/bullet combos trying to preserve the fur while killing coyotes. 204 with either 32gr vmax or 40gr vmax blow holes in them under 200yds. So doesn't a 22-250 out to 250yds. 17hmr you have to shoot them in the head. 308 with 155 scenars just pencil through. The best is 168 a max, makes a 1.5" hole no matter if you shoot them at 50 feet or 550 yds. I recently tried a 90gr BlitzKing out of my 257wby at 3450fps, it dropped the coyote dead at 100 yds—no exit wound. I'm not kidding. Surprised me, I thought it would cut them I half. Need to try it some more to see if it was a fluke or not.
Like said before..(you want fur use a trap) 22X250 if yes that little BIG word IF you hit the dog head on one hole in, no out.. IF side ways in and out holes..But very dead Yot...

Like said before..(you want fur use a trap) 22X250 if yes that little BIG word IF you hit the dog head on one hole in, no out.. IF side ways in and out holes..But very dead Yot...
But shooting is so much more fun! Lol
In all seriousness I have much smaller holes with my 308 pushing 168 amax bullets than I do with the 22-250 and vmaxs, but they r just as dead, plus if I can hit them I shoot at them with my 308

But shooting is so much more fun! Lol
In all seriousness I have much smaller holes with my 308 pushing 168 amax bullets than I do with the 22-250 and vmaxs, but they r just as dead, plus if I can hit them I shoot at them with my 308
Thats nice but I like to use any thing I have with me when I see them.. All my guns are fun and kill some with big holes some with small but its all fun..The biggest hole was with my 338 lapua..LOL What a hole...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts