Too much horsepower for coyote?

Y'all are a pretty dense crowd. Where do you see "bobcat" in the thread title, "Too much horsepower for coyote?" If I don't care to shoot bobcats, why is it any of your business? You shoot everything that passes in front of you when you're out hunting, but that's not my thing. Just because bobcats are available to me to hunt, doesn't mean I have any interest in it, no matter the value of the game. Where I hunt, there are people that make their living off of trapping, and every bobcat I could blast is money out of their pocket. I also pass and don't shoot bucks; can't eat the antlers. There are people that really appreciate them, and it would be wasted on me. I've taken some good photos of bucks in front of me while deer hunting, but have never had the urge to shoot them. Last season, I was offered a chance to shoot a buck and not pay the $6k trophy fee. I stuck to shooting management does and didn't consider shooting any of the bucks. I hunt my way, and don't really care if you don't like it. Wouldn't mind getting back on topic about shooting coyotes, though.

A Berger 105 VLD @ 3K does a good job of killing and the exits aren't extreme unless your shot placement is poor. I've shot coyotes from 100-300 yards with them so far.

Y'all are a pretty dense crowd. Where do you see "bobcat" in the thread title, "Too much horsepower for coyote?" If I don't care to shoot bobcats, why is it any of your business? You shoot everything that passes in front of you when you're out hunting, but that's not my thing. Just because bobcats are available to me to hunt, doesn't mean I have any interest in it, no matter the value of the game. Where I hunt, there are people that make their living off of trapping, and every bobcat I could blast is money out of their pocket. I also pass and don't shoot bucks; can't eat the antlers. There are people that really appreciate them, and it would be wasted on me. I've taken some good photos of bucks in front of me while deer hunting, but have never had the urge to shoot them. Last season, I was offered a chance to shoot a buck and not pay the $6k trophy fee. I stuck to shooting management does and didn't consider shooting any of the bucks. I hunt my way, and don't really care if you don't like it. Wouldn't mind getting back on topic about shooting coyotes, though.

I most certainly do not shoot everything that passes in front of me and would bet most others here don't either.

Why are you so interested in coyote rifles, don't you know that a good yote some years can bring near $100??? Taking money out of local trappers pockets...

I most certainly do not shoot everything that passes in front of me and would bet most others here don't either.

Why are you so interested in coyote rifles, don't you know that a good yote some years can bring near $100??? Taking money out of local trappers pockets...

Maybe because I posted in the coyote board... You whine about everyone that doesn't share your interests?

Because calling and shooting coyotes is fun and trapping is boring!

Nevada Fur Sale this Feb........................Average Bobcat went for $378 High Cat went for $1456

Average Coyote $41.73 High $116.58

I guess it depends on the State you live in .....................some places Coyotes are almost worthless. I skin and process all my coyotes, knowing that one day the demand for Prime coyotes Might go back up. Now a four coyote day is worth $160.

For me a prime coyote is beautiful and my wife thinks so to ..................she has two bobcats, one coyote, a kit and Gray fox hanging in our living Room...............next to her arrow head collection.

Having shot a lot of coyotes with a .243 Win, I can tell you that bullet choice is the name of the game. I wouldn't reccomend hunting pelts with a 7mm RM, but if it's your only choice, the barnes bullets are a great choice due to them staying together, and not opening immediately. I have destroyed pelts with Varmint bullets out of the .243, but after switching to a 105 grain A-max, I haven't seen much of a problem. I ended up just buying a Sig M400 Predator in 5.56 and shooting 77 grain HP's.

The calibers mentioned on this thread don't lead me to believe this is a serious fur conversation. If it was, 80 gr and under in 243 would be the high end. Maybe a 25-06 in rare circumstances. An exit wound of any kind can make a hide completely unmarketable some years. The fur prices we read are the best fur available many that were trapped or snared with no bullet holes at all. Mediocre fur usually isn't worth much. There's really nothing wrong with thinning the predator population and target practicing with your big game rifle at the same time. Nothing builds confidence in your ammo, optics, and rifle like being able to hit a coyote. If fur is really the issue jut get a 223. Otherwise shoot them with anything you please and don't apologize for it.

The calibers mentioned on this thread don't lead me to believe this is a serious fur conversation.
lightbulb

Only the trappers here seem hellbent on pushing the value of fur. I just want to try out my 7mm with light bullets when taking nuisance animals and will not be taking fur on anything I hunt.

Then by all means man, go for it. If fur isn't an issue, there is no such thing as overkill. Use the same loads that you would shoot deer/elk with and call it practice! There is no better thing for practice than putting yourself in a dynamic hunting situation that predators almost always provide.

Just curious what y'all might consider too much for coyote hunting, if pelt preservation is one of the goal? Right now I shoot a 7mm SS, but haven't shot anything lighter than the Sierra 140gr SBT. I'm wondering if I could use this round and the 110gr Speer HP TNT effectively or if I need something with less gideup behind it.

How far are you shooting??

If under say 500yd get a 22-250, every one needs a new gun.. I use 243, 22-250 and 220 swift and kill lots of dogs this year over 38..

Tell your wife you got it for her, but you need to make sure it shoots good and knows how to kill..

Tell your wife you got it for her, but you need to make sure it shoots good and knows how to kill..

If I told my wife I was killing dogs with it, I'm pretty sure she'd kill me! lol As far as she's concerned, I like to "hike" alone and only bring a gun along for safety. I've got a 300 WSM being built right now and may try some of Hammer's 144gr Target Solids on a few dogs as an experiment. That solid just should just poke straight through I'd imagine.

If I told my wife I was killing dogs with it, I'm pretty sure she'd kill me! lol As far as she's concerned, I like to "hike" alone and only bring a gun along for safety.

That's funny!

Speer has a 125gr TNT Varmint bullet that would probably have pretty impressive impacts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.