TOO MUCH BARREL

I have no hunting rig over 8 1/2 lbs complete scope and ammo and that includes a Brown precision 338 win mag. I don't know how folks can carry a 10+ lb rig in the field, but half of my hunting party are doing just that. Other than that 338 all of my other rigs are between 7 and 8 lbs complete except for a titanium Remington 7-08 at 6 1/4. All wear 22 to 24" barrels with the heaviest being a Shilen #3. I have one gun in the safe that wears a 26" barrel and that is a 280 AI X-bolt. As it is only 40 to 50 FPS faster than my 24" 280 AI I am seeking to trim it down to 24"

I have no hunting rig over 8 1/2 lbs complete scope and ammo and that includes a Brown precision 338 win mag. I don't know how folks can carry a 10+ lb rig in the field, but half of my hunting party are doing just that. Other than that 338 all of my other rigs are between 7 and 8 lbs complete except for a titanium Remington 7-08 at 6 1/4. All wear 22 to 24" barrels with the heaviest being a Shilen #3. I have one gun in the safe that wears a 26" barrel and that is a 280 AI X-bolt. As it is only 40 to 50 FPS faster than my 24" 280 AI I am seeking to trim it down to 24"

Big heavy rifles, plus the gear associated with hunting is definitely for the young and fit!

If your hunting is walking long distances, potentially in rugged terrain…..unnecessary weight is not your friend! Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable…..not a remake of the "Bataan Death March"!

If you're not a competitive triathlete, but a mere mortal, and use horses or mechanized travel to get to your shooting location…..weight is a non-issue. Hell, if rails are available, use a "Big Bertha" replica.

Our (wife and I) weight limits with our 24"barrel length limits come in at 9 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, & slung)! We could build/buy lighter rifles, but a 70+ years of age…..there's a mileage limit that a lighter rifle will not overcome. Plus we have our preferred hunting cartridges that will become uncomfortable to shoot in a noticeably lighter rifle!

It all comes down to a personal preference and needs! memtb

Last edited:
I'm used to 30 -35 lbs. Then if you have to pack meat out also 😳
It all adds up. I am looking at filling my pack with helium!!! I carried one wolf out once.... He was a big male I shot with my bow and I was curious about weight. 118lbs summer weight. Put my pack out at 150-160 lbs. I've done that weight a couple times with elk on a pack frame and its just too hard on me. I'm a little old dude so I am over that crap. Anyway, Fish and Game biologist said he would be a solid 140-150 in the winter. A head and pelt is about 20 lbs per wolf so I just skin them on the spot now instead of letting my curiosity get the best of me.

Big heavy rifles, plus the gear associated with hunting is definitely for the young and fit!

If your hunting is walking long distances, potentially in rugged terrain…..unnecessary weight is not your friend! Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable…..not a remake of the "Bataan Death March"!

If you're not a competitive triathlete, but a mere mortal, and use horses or mechanized travel to get to your shooting location…..weight is a non-issue. Hell, if rails are available, use a "Big Bertha" replica.

Our (wife and I) weight limits with our 24"barrel length limits come in at 9 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, & slung)! We could build/buy lighter rifles, but a 70+ years of age…..there's a mileage limit that a lighter rifle will not overcome. Plus we have our preferred hunting cartridges that will become uncomfortable to shoot in a noticeably lighter rifle!

I met a bow hunter fishing a lake in north west Wyoming. We got to talking about hunting and where we had hunted before. He mentioned an area he bow hunts every year by himself. He packs in 8 to 10 miles on foot and stays in there 15 to 20 days. About every 7 days he comes out to get more provisions. He says he gets a bull about every other year and has to make3 or 4 trips to pack it out. Three years ago when I met him, he was 73 years old. I know the area and it is full of Grizzly bears too.

I guess I'm very "purpose driven" in this game.

If a rifle is for the bench, that sucker weights 20#, lead shot or brass weights in every nook and cranny, has a straight profile barrel, slides on bags like they're rails, and gets a new barrel about once a year because it's so fun to shoot.

If it's a hunting rifle it weighs 6#, has a 5 port brake on it that was meant to tame whatever unrealistic insanely overbore firebreather chamber I dreamed about putting in it before making it a 30-06 or 6.5 CM, and the barrel will last forever because it'll only ever shoot 300 rounds before I find a new bullet to try and those somehow always require a new barrel 🤣

I met a bow hunter fishing a lake in north west Wyoming. We got to talking about hunting and where we had hunted before. He mentioned an area he bow hunts every year by himself. He packs in 8 to 10 miles on foot and stays in there 15 to 20 days. About every 7 days he comes out to get more provisions. He says he gets a bull about every other year and has to make3 or 4 trips to pack it out. Three years ago when I met him, he was 73 years old. I know the area and it is full of Grizzly bears too.
Scary hunting up here by yourself. Spending night in woods by yourself here requires large nads. 😉

My ex wife told me 27 years ago I had too much barrel. I didn't cut then . Now maybe don't need as much barrel ? 🤔😉

I have quite a few bolt-action rifles, mostly Rem 700's, and my very favorite is a 28 in, heavy barrel 6.5-06 with a 7.5 twist, blueprinted, and shoots 168 AB's into under 5" groups at 1000K on a calm, cool day, all day long! Why cut it short, like everybody else's rifle? If it shoots great, leave it alone. Extreme accuracy is very rare. Don't mess with success! Buy ANOTHER cheap, short rifle!

I have quite a few bolt-action rifles, mostly Rem 700's, and my very favorite is a 28 in, heavy barrel 6.5-06 with a 7.5 twist, blueprinted, and shoots 168 AB's into under 5" groups at 1000K on a calm, cool day, all day long! Why cut it short, like everybody else's rifle? If it shoots great, leave it alone. Extreme accuracy is very rare. Don't mess with success! Buy ANOTHER cheap, short rifle!
Nosler makes a 168 .264 Accubond ? Dang. I have never seen.

My last build last year was .270, 27" Light Palma contour that is "semi-heavy" but I don't weigh my rifles. I am 72 and so far no need for me to do so. Had outfitter call my Sendero a fence post once when I handed it to him crossing a nasty deadfall! Weight is relative to each person. I don't have a 30" barrel (yet) but if you like what it gives you, have at it. Most of my barrels are 26-27". Some are Sendero contour without fluting. Hunting is as much psychological as it is physical. Sometimes you have to fight thru some physical and psychological barriers and I think rifle weight, pack weight, clothing are all part if it. If you need to shed weight, go for it. Do what is "right" for you which may not be "right" for someone else. Rifle performance is just as subjective as for what you accept.

Even with bad stenosis, thankfully I still am able hunt at 8-10. I expect/hope to be hunting 2nd rifle CO this year. Rifle weight is prob less concern to me versus the weight of my boots!

OK, @skipglo this is your softball toss for the day!

The rifle weight debate seems to be as debatable and argumentative as wolves!

My last build last year was .270, 27" Light Palma contour that is "semi-heavy" but I don't weigh my rifles. I am 72 and so far no need for me to do so. Had outfitter call my Sendero a fence post once when I handed it to him crossing a nasty deadfall! Weight is relative to each person. I don't have a 30" barrel (yet) but if you like what it gives you, have at it. Most of my barrels are 26-27". Some are Sendero contour without fluting. Hunting is as much psychological as it is physical. Sometimes you have to fight thru some physical and psychological barriers and I think rifle weight, pack weight, clothing are all part if it. If you need to shed weight, go for it. Do what is "right" for you which may not be "right" for someone else. Rifle performance is just as subjective as for what you accept.

Even with bad stenosis, thankfully I still am able hunt at 8-10. I expect/hope to be hunting 2nd rifle CO this year. Rifle weight is prob less concern to me versus the weight of my boots!

Very well put.

"Still able to hunt at 8-10"? That diverted my attention from the normal 👢 scenario. Or perhaps not...maybe only being able to hunt 2 hours a day now...is directly proportional to the stress imposed by having to lift those boots.....try sitting on a cut line for an hour or two and maybe extend your hunt to 4 hours!🤣

Last edited:
"Still able to hunt at 8-10"? That diverted my attention from the normal 👢 scenario. Or perhaps not...maybe only being able to hunt 2 hours a day now...is directly proportional to the stress imposed by having to lift those boots.....try sitting on a cut line for an hour or two and maybe extend your hunt to 4 hours!🤣
You were the only one who got the "true" meaning!

Recent Posts