Too Many 6mm's To Choose From

Ok while the 6-284 is a speedster you pay for it in barrel life maybe 1,000 rounds and she's done and for a prairie dog shooter ?? I would suggest you go to the 6mm AR website and look at the 6mm SLR it has the features of both the 6mmXC and the .243 which it is based off of. It will run a 115 grian bullet at 2900 and shoot the lighter bullets accurately as well and you can see 3 different reamer choices that you have to choose from for your application. The SLR will need a 1:7.5 twist barrel to achieve the best performance and of course the longer the barrel the better to get your performance. If you use either Rem. or Win. brass no neck turning is required just run them through the dies and take them to the range and shoot they will be fireformed after that and you are on your way.

Ok while the 6-284 is a speedster you pay for it in barrel life maybe 1,000 rounds and she's done and for a prairie dog shooter ?? I would suggest you go to the 6mm AR website and look at the 6mm SLR it has the features of both the 6mmXC and the .243 which it is based off of. It will run a 115 grian bullet at 2900 and shoot the lighter bullets accurately as well and you can see 3 different reamer choices that you have to choose from for your application. The SLR will need a 1:7.5 twist barrel to achieve the best performance and of course the longer the barrel the better to get your performance. If you use either Rem. or Win. brass no neck turning is required just run them through the dies and take them to the range and shoot they will be fireformed after that and you are on your way.

the easy way to make the super improved 6mm is to find a good 6mmAI reamer and ream the chamber for a 1.552 shoulder length. You can use .243 brass, and get the much needed longer neck. Or better yet use a 6BG reamer (Dave Kiff makes them), and set the headspace off a .300 Savage gauge. This round is good for at least 2K rounds thru the barrel and rarely has case problems.
gary

I'm with gary on this one id go 6br imp (aka 6mm dasher) or 6xc there is no need to push the 105-115s any faster than 3050. And the 6/284 is not the king, (except in the barrel eating department) a 6-06ai or 240wby will out run a 6/284 with better barrel life. When it comes to 1k ibs 3 6mms are commenly seen the dasher, the xc, and the 6/47 with 105 bergers or 107 SMKs.

I'm with gary on this one id go 6br imp (aka 6mm dasher) or 6xc there is no need to push the 105-115s any faster than 3050. And the 6/284 is not the king, (except in the barrel eating department) a 6-06ai or 240wby will out run a 6/284 with better barrel life. When it comes to 1k ibs 3 6mms are commenly seen the dasher, the xc, and the 6/47 with 105 bergers or 107 SMKs.

The 6BG is really just starting to show up, and it's already got a following. With a .35" neck length and minimum body taper with a 30 degree shoulder, case are easy to form out of .243 brass (same over all length). You simply ream the chamber to use a .300 Savage headspace gauge. The 6BG is kind of like a 6BR with .470" added to the middle, and a longer neck. It'll drive a 105 grain bullet out to 3200fps. The 6/250 and the 6XC both are nice rounds, but both also suffer from the short neck syndrome. The 6/250AI is better, but still suffers from the short neck length. I form my cases out of .243 brass in my 6/250AI, and if I were to do this all over again, I'd have reamed it with a 6mmAI short for a total length of about 2.20" after fire forming. Shoulder length would fall right in the middle between the .250 case and the .243 case, but with a .32" neck.
gary

I'd go with the 6mm Remington. It is very simple to load for, fast, and also very accurate. With the heavier better bullets it also does wonderful work on antelope, elk, and the occasional elk! One shot 90 gr. E-Tip from 350 yards. Hit right behind her right shoulder and the Nosler exited her left shoulder. She went maybe 25 yards and tipped over!
013-1.jpg

Ruger MKII 6mm Remington with a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle on it. Only thing I wish it had was a 24 inch barrel instead of the 22 inch barrel.
C0E6.jpg

I went with the 6br norma because it will shoot long range accurately for a long, long time.

If I need more distance or energy, I have bigger/hotter cartridges.

If I didn't already have a couple of 6.5x284's, I might've gone with 6.5x47 or 6x47 Lapua. ...and I may yet.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.