Too late to start?

I re-started hunting about 5 years ago. Hadn't done it in 30 years and my wife didn't know me as a young hunter. Fortunately, she was supportive (though doesn't participate). I hope you complete your journey to the hunt - it is soul affirming - it is who you are despite not having done it. Steven Rinella said this about our connection to hunting, and it resonates deeply: "Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as playing music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else. After all, the earliest forms of representational art reflect hunters and prey. While the arts were making us spiritually viable, hunting did the heavy lifting of not only keeping up alive, but inspiring us. To abhor hunting is to hate the place from which you came, which is akin to hating yourself in some distant, abstract way."
Good luck rediscovering yourself!

I re-started hunting about 5 years ago. Hadn't done it in 30 years and my wife didn't know me as a young hunter. Fortunately, she was supportive (though doesn't participate). I hope you complete your journey to the hunt - it is soul affirming - it is who you are despite not having done it. Steven Rinella said this about our connection to hunting, and it resonates deeply: "Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as playing music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else. After all, the earliest forms of representational art reflect hunters and prey. While the arts were making us spiritually viable, hunting did the heavy lifting of not only keeping up alive, but inspiring us. To abhor hunting is to hate the place from which you came, which is akin to hating yourself in some distant, abstract way."
Good luck rediscovering yourself!
Very well said, Thank you for your encouragement.....interesting quote as well. I will do my best to get out there & if i do get the privilege of a harvest, that's just the icing on the cake.....will definitely let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again & keep on keeping ON!!!

I took a younger man hunting a few years ago and he told me this: "If I never shoot an animal, I will be happy just for the experience". Great attitude. Fortunately, he got drawn for Oryx this year, and we were able to help him shoot his first big game animal. It was no trophy, but it was one of the best experiences of his life. I've had the good fortune to help 3 hunters get their fitst big game animal this year, and it is almost as much fun as shooting one yourself. I'm 67, and I bought a Trailmaster minibike to get around on two track roads. A blast to ride, but a little noisy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.