too heavy? please help

+1 with what others are saying. I wouldn't cut the barrel. I think for what you explained which doesn't sound like any significant hiking distances 11-12 lbs you'll be fine. Tell ya what I did one time...kinda elementary but, I cut some rebar taped pieces to the gun until I got the weight I had in question and went for a long...I mean long (all be it in circles) hike> This helped me decide yes or no on that particular weight. Worked for me. ps-if you don't have rebar use something else...piece a pipe, lead shot, sinker weights etc.

Get a good neoprene strap like this one Butler Creek Neoprene Rifle Slings : Cabela's

They help out a lot, if you ever played saxophone you'd know :D
I have 2 guns that are over 11lbs that I took elk hunting (one must weigh 13lbs now?). I hiked up and down the steep rock crap for a good 5-10 miles a day. I don't like to hike with a bipod it just adds too much weight. I do throw a couple of sand bags in my back pack though. Also look into the outlaw sling.

well now im leaning towards a rem 700 sps tac which weighs 7.5 lbs. if you have any input on it or a savage 10fp please comment on my other thread i have on here.

thanks for the help guys

one question though

is is cutting the barrel down to 20" or having a 20" barrel from the get go that yall think i should stay away from and why?

i just really like how much smoother the rems bolt is and how much lighter the sps tac is than the 10fp.

Sounds like you want the 20 inch barrel and the sps...then that's what I would do unless the other rifle is what you really want...doesn't sound like it...if I'm correct then I wouldn't get the rifle with the longer barrel only to cut it off...don't forget you'll need to recrown it.

just did a search on the 4x4, looks like its the same thing as a 10fp, just another name for it. ive never seen a 10fp with a 20" barrel though, only 24"...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.