Today Is D-Day

dok7mm

We should be thinking of the men who gave their lives in an effort for the freedom of the world. Their sacrifice gave us the life we live today.

Seventy-six years have passed since then and I can't help but wonder what they would think of America today.

How many Americans truly understand what we have and why we have been able to sustain it?

I believe it's those who love America and freedom beyond their own needs, like those men who stormed Omaha and the other beaches on D-Day.

We should be thinking of the men who gave their lives in an effort for the freedom of the world. Their sacrifice gave us the life we live today.

Seventy-six years have passed since then and I can't help but wonder what they would think of America today.

How many Americans truly understand what we have and why we have been able to sustain it?

I believe it's those who love America and freedom beyond their own needs, like those men who stormed Omaha and the other beaches on D-Day.
Oo-rah

My Grandfather was part of the Normandy invasion. He managed to survive the initial landing, but several days afterwards he was shot in the left shoulder by a German sniper (who thankfully didn't make a fatal shot that time). He took the pain-killers he had been issued and summarily blacked out. Said when he woke up the American lines had pulled back and he was caught in the middle. Told me he remembered tree branches clipping off all around him as he got up and ran back to his guys. Once behind American lines he was dressed in a German uniform and transported to a hospital ship and that was the end of the war for him. Amazing that he made it through all that. Diabetes was the thing that ultimately killed him though. Took both his legs before it finally took the rest of him. He absolutely loved to talk about the war and his experiences over there and I absolutely loved to sit and listen. I sure do miss him. GOD LOVE OUR VETS!!! Great thread "dok7mm"!

My grandfather was over there before DDay....1919....he never talked about any part of his battles....
My Uncle Frankie died a few days after DDay....caught up in a battle.....
Thank you veterans...thats you old dogs and you new ones...

I agree 100%, I'm thankful for all those brave men and women too, who took a stand for Freedom and Liberty steming the tide of a communist regime that was aiming for global government / domination.
I also agree that they would likely be disgusted with close we are getting to the very things they fought against.
We are living in the end times...

The problem today is that people don't understand that part of living in a free society means you don't have the right to "not" be offended. Political correctness has significantly hampered the correct use of our language and the way we live our lives. Our boys were evicerated with German machine gun fire for our right to free speech. It's a double edged sword and you gotta take the good with the bad but history is replete with example demonstrating that the alternative is much, much worse. I fear we may be headed in that direction with all the garbage that is going on these days.

Anyway, I will celebrate D-Day tomorrow sending rounds down range with what George S. Patton described as "The finest war implement ever devised". I'd dare say we owe a lot of our Freedom to this rifle. Have a nice night.

A991B43E-DDA9-477B-BC02-D2685EC42E10.jpeg

I had the honor (my words) to be in Normandy on the 50th anniversary just due to a business trip that took me to a French town not to far away. I wish everyone could stand on the beach and look up at the concrete bunkers on the hills above and wonder "how the heck did they do this?" and realize how many Americans died where I stood. I was very emotional standing there and didn't care how I looked. I also sat on the bench in the cemetery above the beaches where there are thousands of white crosses and cried my eyes out.

I was able to bring back some real interesting mementos that were for the 50th Anniversary which I look through once in while. Best one is a coffee table style book that is filled with historical photos, documentaries etc which are unique in themselves.

While I was there, there was a terrible reminder of the war when a local farmer hit an unexploded bomb in his field while plowing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.