To thread or not to thread the muzzle ...

Hurts the value,,,,,unless you have a receipt for the barrel threading from a smith with a good machinist reputation. I personally am kinda particular about who does my barrel threading. Lopping off a threaded section to repair is an added expense and loss of barrel length. Just my personal opinion.

i like shooting my 300 RUM so I threaded it now I can see my hits most of the time. but I buy my guns to shoot and have fun with.

On a rifle that is a "tool" it might increase value and generally shouldn't hurt it. You may not recover the cost of the threading. All this assumes it is done correctly and appropriately. I wouldn't view most Senderos as more than a tool, although a better tool than a standard model. Caliber will also impact the value of threading. 22-250 likely to be more negative. 300 RUM or your "friend's" STW - thread it.

On a valuable "collectable" don't touch it.

How about R700 Sendero in 7MM STW?
I wouldn't thread it.
It's a somewhat unique chambering that's seen its heyday and the factory R700 7mm STW will never roll off the line again.
Therefore it may collect someday, shot or not.

The owner may not care about that and hopefully he finds a good shop to do it right.

If I wanted a softer shooting 7mm, I would entertain something like 280AI or similar .

:twocents:

If he wants to shoot it he should thread it. How much is he loosing In resale If he does? I'd guess nothing, a used sendero will probably sell for $900ish no matter if the muzzle is threaded or not. I've sold two 7stw sendero rifles and one was threaded the other was not both sold about the same. On all the builds I do, I have every rifle barrel threaded, there is just no reason not to.

For me personally I don't invest in rifles for an investment because I do not expect (1) they are going to be resold, (2) when I am through building them their resale value as a collectable is probably lost. Again for me personally it does not really matter, however depending on the cartridge that has a heavy recoil and there were two identical rifles to choose from, I would select the one that has the threaded barrel. I recently built a Ruger 77 in 300 WinMag with a rebarrel, it was a battle between thread or not to thread the barrel, I chose not to thread the barrel. He really is not recoil conscious so I didn't thread the barrel; however......still debating whether I should have threaded it.

At this point, I don't really build a rifle or make modifications based on what I think may affect resale value. I buy or build to use it. If I decide to sell it later on, I'll deal with it then.

On a rifle, let's say R700 Sendero (any of the chamberings or generations), does it add value or hurt the collectors' value (not sure if it is), asking for a friend. A simple yes or no will suffice.

ADDED: My original post might be too generalized, as reflected by the 1st 6 responses. I understand the collector's value might be personal in nature. How about R700 Sendero in 7MM STW? I am not sure how many rounds through, but it has been shot, but it sounds like it is in very good condition.
No!

Yes, it will decrease COLLECTOR value for most collectors. There will be a few collectors that will not mind as much.

I always look at it as wanting leather seats for your vehicle. Will you recoup the extra cost when you sell or trade? Most likely not. But if that's what you want and makes you happy, go for it!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.