To thread or not to thread the muzzle ...

FEENIX

On a rifle, let's say R700 Sendero (any of the chamberings or generations), does it add value or hurt the collectors' value (not sure if it is), asking for a friend. A simple yes or no will suffice.

ADDED: My original post might be too generalized, as reflected by the 1st 6 responses. I understand the collector's value might be personal in nature. How about R700 Sendero in 7MM STW? I am not sure how many rounds through, but it has been shot, but it sounds like it is in very good condition.

Last edited:
If the device you added goes with the rifle when sold...maybe...
If rifle is shot....no...
Recently tried to buy a 223 from a guy..."oh it hasn't been shot much"..
Front of bolt had no bluing(40 year old bdl)....and the stock had been sanded down and resealed..poor job at that too....the black with thin white forehand were covered in brown sediment from not cleaning the dust before applying clear....
The rifle sold originally for what..$350....and he wanted $1200...original barrel...different trigger....
You want value..dont shoot..dont change..dont think it's worth 4 times purchase price.....
But as you change or pull a trigger the value drops...and retail prices always include many middleman fees.....
Sorry Feenix...

If the device you added goes with the rifle when sold...maybe...
If rifle is shot....no...
Recently tried to buy a 223 from a guy..."oh it hasn't been shot much"..
Front of bolt had no bluing(40 year old bdl)....and the stock had been sanded down and resealed..poor job at that too....the black with thin white forehand were covered in brown sediment from not cleaning the dust before applying clear....
The rifle sold originally for what..$350....and he wanted $1200...original barrel...different trigger....
You want value..dont shoot..dont change..dont think it's worth 4 times purchase price.....
But as you change or pull a trigger the value drops...and retail prices always include many middleman fees.....
Sorry Feenix...
I have the rifle you are looking for, appears to be unfired If that's what you need, I may sell it?

I think, especially in something like a Remington Sendero, threading will hurt collector value only if the rifle is new unfired. I think you will not increase the value by threading a sendero shooter but for most of the chamberings threading isn't a negative if done properly.

My dad has a late 50's 700BDL in 264 WM that he recently got threaded. It's a well worn rifle in a highly overbore chambering. He got what he wanted and if he decided to sell this rifle the buyer most likely would expect to need barrel replacement. Do what you want to make the rifle what you want. Then go shoot.

Is it a collectable or a shooter? Not that a collectable can't be shot, but that it is a sought after firearm (say a pre 64 M70 in .264WM or .220 Swift in 85%+ condition). As opposed to a rifle built for shooting (say for example a BAT action, Brux Sendero in 1/7 .270 Win, EH4).
Thread the former? No.
Thread the latter? Absolutely.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.