To Thread or Not to Thread? (existing rifles)

What would you do with your existing rifles?

• Thread the factory barrels

• Keep them unthreaded

• Other: See comments

Results are only viewable after voting.

seawolfxix

I may get a suppressor in 2020, and I have a couple Savage rifles (models 10 & 11) without threaded barrels. What should I do with these guns? None of them are collectors' items, but they shoot well as is.

If you plan to thread the muzzles, I'd go for the whole nine yards and cut a new chamber into each of your two rifles. The barrels will need to be removed to thread them, so why not rechamber and have what essentially amounts to a brand-new gun?

There is a thread in gunsmithing about threading barrels its quite informative.
A barrel does not need to be removed to thread, and having a barrel threaded by a good gunsmith is not too expensive.
If the rifles are good shooters I would defiantly have the barrels threaded.

I love my savage's, they all shoot great, but they're far from the prettiest rifle ever made so I wouldn't hesitate one bit to thread them, in fact i have plans to thread them all next year, and recut the should on my rem700s next year cuz the factory didnt do such a great job...just as soon as I get my new lathe up and running.

I have had several rifles threaded and none of the barrels were removed. The scopes, yes, but not the barrels.

Small caliber - 1/2 x 28, larger - 5/8 x 24.

I have one rifle I won't thread due to personnel reasons but the remainder will be threaded. Having a barrel threaded isn't expensive and normally doesn't require the barrel coming off. Thread them!

My Banish 223 suppressor has made every rifle I have put it on shoot tighter groups. I'm not crazy about the "thread-protector look," but shooting suppressed is just WAAAAYYYYY better.

You dont have to remove the barrel to thread it. Smith just use a steady rest. Or depending on chuck clearance (enough to clear the lug) you just make a bushing to keep the action from whipping around.

. . . make a bushing to keep the action from whipping around.
That was my concern. A naked barrel is balanced around its axis. I was thinking a barrel with an action attached would not be balanced, and would wobble as it spun. Such wobbling would appear in the muzzle vibrating to the right of the chuck, and we'd get a terrible threading job.

Read the Thread in the gunsmithing forum titled
Threading a barrel without taking barrel off.
Lots of good gunsmiths comment on your concerns.
Basically non of the thing you mention are a problem for a good Smith.
That was my concern. A naked barrel is balanced around its axis. I was thinking a barrel with an action attached would not be balanced, and would wobble as it spun. Such wobbling would appear in the muzzle vibrating to the right of the chuck, and we'd get a terrible threading job.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.