To those interested in the cartridge why 300 PRC?

The 300 wm has a belt and 30 nosler has a rebated rim. Neither feature is necessary or has any benefits in a case this size and shape. Now most of the time neither of these things cause issues but both have been known to occasionally cause people problems. If your building a custom why choose a case that has a feature that has no benefits and is known to very occasionally cause peoblems when another case of similar shape and capacity is available? Brass quality could be a reason but if ADG picks up the 300 prc that will likely negate that reason as well.

I am watching for the "practical availability" of the .300PRC and multiple manufacturers of ammo. If not....I will stick with the .300WM. Not the fastest or flattest...but more variety of factory loads of almost anything out there...and available anywhere in the world.:D

Not due to the hype, rather the idea of a newer design tailored for the higher BC bullets is what interests me. Once my 30-06 barrel is shot out I think I will be trying the PRC. The other reason I am looking for more of magnum performance is when I moose hunt Northern BC, we are seeing an insane amount of Grizzlies... that are no longer afraid of humans.

The 300 wm has a belt and 30 nosler has a rebated rim. Neither feature is necessary or has any benefits in a case this size and shape. Now most of the time neither of these things cause issues but both have been known to occasionally cause people problems. If your building a custom why choose a case that has a feature that has no benefits and is known to very occasionally cause peoblems when another case of similar shape and capacity is available? Brass quality could be a reason but if ADG picks up the 300 prc that will likely negate that reason as well.

Those are bs Hornady marketing points. I've lost track of how many belted mags I've owned but exactly zero have had any issues. I do agree if I were designing a cartridge I would not choose a belt. I have also lost track of how many rebated rim cartridges I have had to date and I've had exactly 0 issues with them as well. The rebated rim however allows more case capacity without an oddball bolt head required in the same length so yes it has several advantages and in the case of the 30 Nosler versus the 300 PRC it has anywhere from 2 to 4 grains more H2O capacity depending on brass. This is pretty large considering.

Besides my personal interest of them creating brass to fire form in my chamber, I would add the following points that I believe are positive.
(1) std mag bolt face
(2) no belt
(3) increase in performance over the popular WM on same action and oal
(4) good case design including factory throating favor Long Range high b c bullets
(5) available, inexpensive, accurate factory ammo
(6) Better brass than most Hornady offerings

Just a quick search says 300 WM max OAL is 3.340 vs 300 PRC at 3.70. Most factory rifles are going to need and extended mag box to run PRC if rebarreling from 300 WM. Most factory guns run out of room at 3.5-3.6

Just a quick search says 300 WM max OAL is 3.340 vs 300 PRC at 3.70. Most factory rifles are going to need and extended mag box to run PRC if rebarreling from 300 WM. Most factory guns run out of room at 3.5-3.6
That is SAAMI spec so yes if you're going to buy a rifle with a 1950 magazine box then you'll be stuck. Anyone who is chambering a rifle in PRC will have to have a longer mag box. I've loaded both the 300 wm and 30 Nosler out to ~3.65-3.70" in SAAMI chambers/factory rifles. Again this goes back to factory rifles/ammo. No doubt the PRC wins. I personally would never own a rifle with a 3.4" magazine in a "long" action regardless of the chambering.

I was referring to brass length and where things SHOULD be throated to perform well. You are correct on factory ammo.
Everyone makes aftermarket mags now and if youre building a custom or improving a WM, its not a big deal. Also, there will always be lots of standard WM's.

It's true that it can be overcome IF it's an issue, especially on a build, it's just noteworthy that it could present a problem if just rebarreling. It also opens the door to how much performance gain are you actually getting over a 300 win with an equal OAL. It is nice that factory guns come with faster twists.

If you want to turn this into an argument I'll bow out. I didn't start the thread to change anyone's mind I was curious as to why others were interested. It is in fact mostly hype. I've owned several 300 wms. I've owned several 30 Noslers. I have a 300 PRC. The 300 PRC has nothing on the other two when building a rifle. That is fact not opinion. I can completely appreciate those who want a great chamber with a good round in a factory rifle with good ammo. I can't appreciate those touting this as the next coming of Jesus. They do in fact claim it is better than several cartridges that it is in fact not better than performance wise. If we want to stick to factory ammo than SOME of their claims can be substantiated. If you wish to argue I'll not post here, in the thread I started again. Everyone in the thread has stated a reason and moved on. You for some season just had to try to argue.

I don't want to start an argument either, I just get tired of the whole marketing hype argument as the basis for why someone would choose one round over another. Everyone in this thread has presented good arguments for and against the PRC which have nothing to do with marketing. In this day of laser range finders, ballastic apps and excellent scopes, I don't think that velocity should be the deciding factor. 50 or even 100 fps with high BC bullets only equates to a few clicks on the turret inside of most peoples hunting ranges. I think the things that you're discounting are in fact the deciding factor for some people.

Hornady always gets a bad rep from some people because they are the kings of marketing product. But lets be honest just like the much hated for whatever reason 6.5 creedmoor you now do not have to reload and can find resonably priced match grade ammo at even walmart now. The PRC family is no different. I have a PRC and I also have a 300 win mag and the PRC equals velocity of the win mag running much heavier bullet. I personally have never had a issue reloading belted mags so belt or not belt does not matter to me. I personally like to try new stuff and from what I have seen from the PRC if you want a hunting rifle in 30 cal that you can launch heavier bullets and dont reload so far it has fit that niche very well.

I don't want to start an argument either, I just get tired of the whole marketing hype argument as the basis for why someone would choose one round over another. Everyone in this thread has presented good arguments for and against the PRC which have nothing to do with marketing. In this day of laser range finders, ballastic apps and excellent scopes, I don't think that velocity should be the deciding factor. 50 or even 100 fps with high BC bullets only equates to a few clicks on the turret inside of most peoples hunting ranges. I think the things that you're discounting are in fact the deciding factor for some people.

You are lying to yourself if you think some don't only buy what they read or see on youtube. I don't discredit any of the reasons in the thread except the rebated rim and belt. You are absolutely correct about the couple clicks on the turret but the same could be said about the 300 wm which has been around for nearly a century.

For all those that are reluctant to accept the Hornady cartridges.
The dinosaurs couldn't adapt to change either.
I hope you are not talking to me. I have a Creedmoor, I have a 6.5 PRC and have multiple of each. I also have a 300 PRC and it will be my last because with the limitations I have chosen for my hunting rifles which is .532 bolt face in a 3.750" mag box the 30 Nosler outperforms the 300PRC.

I will say the absolute best thing Hornady is doing is pushing the limits of what rifle makers deem to be the "normal" magazine length. It is about time they step into the 21st century.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.