To those interested in the cartridge why 300 PRC?

I am curious to know from those who have been captured by the Hornady marketing machine what is the draw to the 300 PRC? Let's keep this civil. Are you attracted to the factory ammo options? The rifles chambered in it? Buy the Hornady hype?
I do like all aspects of the 300 prc I think it's a great design. I would not be opposed to owning one. The last thread on here comparing the 30 nosler and 300 prc was aprx 30 pages long. I think the 300 prc is great for convenience. Despite whats been said about the 300 Norma, it's highly non finicky with nodes a mile wide. Just like loading up a big 6.5 creedmoor. I haven't regretted purchasing the kelbly lapua bolt face action in the least. I don't think anyone can legitimately bash the 30 nosler, 300 prc or 300 Norma.

Id say youre right with the Nosler having 100' on the PRC.
What length barrel on you Nosler?
The last one running 3100 was 26". My new one is 27". I am baffled by the fact that there is no accuracy up top but it has less than 20fps es across a grain charge down low with excellent vertical so I will take it.

I do like all aspects of the 300 prc I think it's a great design. I would not be opposed to owning one. The last thread on here comparing the 30 nosler and 300 prc was aprx 30 pages long. I think the 300 prc is great for convenience. Despite whats been said about the 300 Norma, it's highly non finicky with nodes a mile wide. Just like loading up a big 6.5 creedmoor. I haven't regretted purchasing the kelbly lapua bolt face action in the least. I don't think anyone can legitimately bash the 30 nosler, 300 prc or 300 Norma.

I have toyed with the idea of the 300 Norma. Cant get past the Lapua bolt face in a light weight rifle. I am not sure why as I am building a Lapua improved. I would like to see how the Fierce action/DBM setup cycles the cartridge.

I recently purchased the 300 PRC in a CA Ridgeline topped with the Vortex Razor HD AMG 6x24x50 glass. I'm following the Christensen Arms barrel break in procedure as published and shooting the factory Hornady 212 gr ELD-X ammo only. On my second trip to the range I shot this 3 round group at 100 yds with a front rest consisting of my rolled up hoodie and sweat pants. After letting the gun cool, using the Hornady 4DOF Ballistic Calculator app, I dialed in the dope for my first 500 yd shot ever and placed 2 rounds on the steel with ease! I followed those two shots up with a 700 yd attempt at a gopher silhouette and missed. I grew up shooting, hunting and hand loading and have done so for almost all of 50 years but never really owned a gun that I could consistently and accurately shoot more than 300 yds. The thing that I love about the Ridgeline and the 300 PRC is that I'm making these great shots with all off the shelf components and getting my dope using a cell phone app that makes it as simple as 1,2,3. I own guns in 7mm-08, .308 win, 300 WM and many others but this new one is as simple as point and click and it's performance repeats itself every trip to the range. 91A98760-9054-41A4-B5DE-80E57A8319BB.jpegE0E2CC17-141F-401B-8796-EA889E3AEF04.jpeg030D87DC-B702-439D-ABE7-8C12CFAD239A.png

I recently purchased the 300 PRC in a CA Ridgeline topped with the Vortex Razor HD AMG 6x24x50 glass. I'm following the Christensen Arms barrel break in procedure as published and shooting the factory Hornady 212 gr ELD-X ammo only. On my second trip to the range I shot this 3 round group at 100 yds with a front rest consisting of my rolled up hoodie and sweat pants. After letting the gun cool, using the Hornady 4DOF Ballistic Calculator app, I dialed in the dope for my first 500 yd shot ever and placed 2 rounds on the steel with ease! I followed those two shots up with a 700 yd attempt at a gopher silhouette and missed. I grew up shooting, hunting and hand loading and have done so for almost all of 50 years but never really owned a gun that I could consistently and accurately shoot more than 300 yds. The thing that I love about the Ridgeline and the 300 PRC is that I'm making these great shots with all off the shelf components and getting my dope using a cell phone app that makes it as simple as 1,2,3. I own guns in 7mm-08, .308 win, 300 WM and many others but this new one is as simple as point and click and it's performance repeats itself every trip to the range.View attachment 154563View attachment 154564View attachment 154565

That is what I was hoping for with mine. So I could have a backup rifle with no load work.

That is what I was hoping for with mine. So I could have a backup rifle with no load work.
I had a buddy get his 300 prc finished before I started mine and he went with an 8 twist and we could not get the 212's, 215's or the 225's to shoot in it well. When it came down to mine I went with a Bartlein 9.5 twist as I wanted to have the availability to possibly load lighter weight pills for deer hunting here in Texas (I know a bit much still for deer sized game but I like knocking things over at times). We were kind of amazed at the grouping the my PRC did with the 212's on its maiden voyage. I don't know if it is just good harmonics with this barrel, the twist or what but it is a shooter for sure. I'm going to put some factory 225's and Berger 215's through it this weekend and see what it does.

I had a buddy get his 300 prc finished before I started mine and he went with an 8 twist and we could not get the 212's, 215's or the 225's to shoot in it well. When it came down to mine I went with a Bartlein 9.5 twist as I wanted to have the availability to possibly load lighter weight pills for deer hunting here in Texas (I know a bit much still for deer sized game but I like knocking things over at times). We were kind of amazed at the grouping the my PRC did with the 212's on its maiden voyage. I don't know if it is just good harmonics with this barrel, the twist or what but it is a shooter for sure. I'm going to put some factory 225's and Berger 215's through it this weekend and see what it does.
My last one shot the 215 and 225's just fine with a 10 twist. You should be fine!

I'm at 2882 FPS with the factory 225 right now. The first 3 I checked after about 20 rounds was 2874, 2876, and 2882. Doesn't seem like mines sped up yet either. I think I'm around 100 rounds down the barrel. I haven't checked lately.

I am hoping I'm somewhere around 3000 FPS with the 215. Doesn't matter if it's slower. But 3000 is a nice round number ha.

Overall the prc did what I was hoping for initially. Shoot the factory ammo well enough to hunt until I have more time to reload. The remodel is almost done so I should have plenty of time after hunting season to work on a load with the 215.

I have toyed with the idea of the 300 Norma. Cant get past the Lapua bolt face in a light weight rifle. I am not sure why as I am building a Lapua improved. I would like to see how the Fierce action/DBM setup cycles the cartridge.
I would go 300 PRC in a lighter build and 300 Norma is what I chose for a heavier build. With a 26" barrel plus powders n570 & slower 3000 fps is doable with 225/230gr bullets and 3050 fps is very doable in alot of them as well. I could see where a 300 prc would be really great chambered up in a proof cf barrel or light varmint contour, lighter rig and even a great round for a heavier rig as well.

I would go 300 PRC in a lighter build and 300 Norma is what I chose for a heavier build. With a 26" barrel plus powders n570 & slower 3000 fps is doable with 225/230gr bullets and 3050 fps is very doable in alot of them as well. I could see where a 300 prc would be really great chambered up in a proof cf barrel or light varmint contour, lighter rig and even a great round for a heavier rig as well.
When I was running my braked Norma @ 2900fps with the 225s it was really suprising how mild the recoil was, less than my 7 rem mag unbraked sendero. I'm a little over 3000fps with the 225s and still not bad recoil.

I recently purchased the 300 PRC in a CA Ridgeline topped with the Vortex Razor HD AMG 6x24x50 glass. I'm following the Christensen Arms barrel break in procedure as published and shooting the factory Hornady 212 gr ELD-X ammo only. On my second trip to the range I shot this 3 round group at 100 yds with a front rest consisting of my rolled up hoodie and sweat pants. After letting the gun cool, using the Hornady 4DOF Ballistic Calculator app, I dialed in the dope for my first 500 yd shot ever and placed 2 rounds on the steel with ease! I followed those two shots up with a 700 yd attempt at a gopher silhouette and missed. I grew up shooting, hunting and hand loading and have done so for almost all of 50 years but never really owned a gun that I could consistently and accurately shoot more than 300 yds. The thing that I love about the Ridgeline and the 300 PRC is that I'm making these great shots with all off the shelf components and getting my dope using a cell phone app that makes it as simple as 1,2,3. I own guns in 7mm-08, .308 win, 300 WM and many others but this new one is as simple as point and click and it's performance repeats itself every trip to the range.View attachment 154563View attachment 154564View attachment 154565
Welcome to the group! Looks like you have a real shooter.

I wanted one as soon as I heard about it.

Never liked belts or nosler so I've stayed away from the 30 cal magnum until the 300 PRC.

Marketing had nothing to do with it for me and I reload so factory ammo doesn't matter.

Something about a 215 berger at about 3000 FPS makes me happy.

I shot two muleys this year so far with mine and the performance has been fantastic. That being said, I'll probably go back to my 6.5's and 7's for deer and antelope...just wanted to get a little blood on the 300.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.