To pin or not to pin the lug?

I think target guys that have multiple barrels chambered with the same reamer at the same time so they can switch out barrels like to pin the recoil lug, it makes quick barrel swaps at home easier. You can swap barrels with a barrel vise and action wrench and not have to worry about lug positioning. If you're not planning to do a lot of barrel swapping I don't see a reason to pin the lug.

I'm pinning the lug on my SA and my LA to swap out barrels of different calibers. New barrel and a new bolt if needed and go shoot. Cheaper than building a another complete weapon.

Building a new Creedmoor on a SA Rem 700. Why would I want to pin the lug or not?

Thanks

There is no reason to pin a Remington in My opinion. because it weakens the receiver ring by placing a stress riser down the centerline of the receiver.

When I re barrel a savage I also do away with the pin. even If it is a switch barrel there is no need
because you have to head space it each time anyway.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.