To muzzle break or not to muzzle break

Does that not increase recoil? Dont know if I would want that on my 375 H&H

No....it will not increase recoil. It will give less recoil reduction than those with 90 degree ports or rearward facing ports. I had a friend that put one of Gentry's brakes on an 8mm Rem. mag., and it did reduce the recoil. However, as with any brake, you still increase muzzle blast....just somewhat less! memtb

No....it will not increase recoil. It will give less recoil reduction than those with 90 degree ports or rearward facing ports. I had a friend that put one of Gentry's brakes on an 8mm Rem. mag., and it did reduce the recoil. However, as with any brake, you still increase muzzle blast....just somewhat less! memtb
Good info thanks I will have to look into the physics of that as the blast is basically an air stream jet force That would also tell hoe far the blast of air travels Interesting

Great info thanks, very interesting results
How did you set up to measure the recoil travel?

I made a sheet metal slide. Also, I made a rifle clamp that can slide easily in the slide. With the rifle in the clamp and the clamp in the slide all the way to the beginning end I pinch the trigger between thumb and finger. After this I measure from the end of the slide to the end of the clamp and record that info.

I made a sheet metal slide. Also, I made a rifle clamp that can slide easily in the slide. With the rifle in the clamp and the clamp in the slide all the way to the beginning end I pinch the trigger between thumb and finger. After this I measure from the end of the slide to the end of the clamp and record that info.
Good approach, should be able to calculate ft lbs of recoil knowing muzzle velocity etc

The last couple seasons I've hunting suppressed. Before that, I used to hunt with my .300 rum and then realised I couldnt spot my hits. Installed a JP break and wore ear protection after that. Cant be happier hunting suppressed though.

Can you spot hits with that RUM with a break?

I would really be interested in what you see as far as point of impact changes.

More than I thought. Changed POI 4 MOA on each axis. It also lowered my velocity about 35 FPS though it was a little cooler today than it was when I worked up the load. I wish I'd brought it to the range with me and I will next time to verify all of this because there is some chance that my scope was not left on perfect zero because I've been doing load development.

Does that not increase recoil? Dont know if I would want that on my 375 H&H

A big NO on increasing recoil. You would have a reduction of recoil of at least 40-50%. I am not guessing on this, you can take my word to the bank! I shoot 7 STW's and 300 Win with very heavy loads.

A big NO on increasing recoil. You would have a reduction of recoil of at least 40-50%. I am not guessing on this, you can take my word to the bank! I shoot 7 STW's and 300 Win with very heavy loads.
So your ports are forwarded angled
50% reduction would bring my 375 H&H down to about 18.5 ft lbs just a little more than my 30-06

It has been my experience that brakes with any kind of Side port only, angled to the rear is deafening to say the least. Put that concussion away from you, not toward you.

The difference in recoil reduction from ports that are angled toward the front and the rear is negligible, as illustrated by Rich Coyle.

Gentry muzzle brakes are called the Quiet muzzle break for a good reason with ports angled about 15* forward with incredible recoil reduction for heavy kickers like big 7's with heavy bullets, big 30 cal with heavy bullets.

More than I thought. Changed POI 4 MOA on each axis. It also lowered my velocity about 35 FPS though it was a little cooler today than it was when I worked up the load. I wish I'd brought it to the range with me and I will next time to verify all of this because there is some chance that my scope was not left on perfect zero because I've been doing load development.

That is very interesting. I think I've decided that the break will stay on.
I did some more shooting today and didn't notice the blast of air rearward as much.
I think I can get used to it!
P1010173.JPG

MBM Beast

I just got my 33 nosler together and have only fired it maybe 10 times.
It's not the first rifle that I've had a break on but needed on this one!
I put a MBM Beast on it and the back blast is very noticeable!
I have to say that I have never been a fan of a break mainly because of the added noise.

My question is do any of you remove the break for hunting season?
Usually when hunting you don't even feel the rifle go off.

Gary
Curt Mendenhall @ Curt's custom guns has developed a brake that can be turned off. I know it does have a slight point of impact change vertically. I have not used one though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts