To continue or start from scratch

For the money, the Savage 110's are hard to beat. Next are the Rem 700's. My personal favorites are the Weatherby Vanguards. If you are shooting prone or bench exclusively, go for a "pistol-grip" stock, with adjustable cheek piece. Also need good rings and a Scope of sufficient power for your needs, smooth trigger under 2 lbs., a good Bi-pod, good ammo, and a good case. With careful shopping, this can be done for under $2,000. Super-tuning is extra. Best wishes. GC.

You Have to be completely comfortable behind your rig. Everything must work together in unison. If not,, you might as well stay home. Start over and build you a rifle that suits your ergonomics.
So just for the sake of conversation on this topic, lets say you have a 12 year old child who wishes to go along with you while you long range hunt for deer.
Are you going to make up a special gun for him?
And 2 years from now will you be at least putting a new stock on it?
How about if you are 6'4", and your hunting buddy is 5'8", how many guns are you gonna lug maybe a mile from your vehicle to the location your gonna hunt that day?
Problem here is pie in the sky advise for problems that dont or shouldnt really exist in the real world.
From a bench, everybody shoots the same gun, even kids, and it works.
What it requires is trigger time rock shooting before that person gets into the game.
Hand a shooter a gun, any gun, and they will make it work well.

Adding a child into this mix is a whole different conversation. I was speaking mainly from the precision BR, LRS, point of view. For hunting down here and my kids.
They were shooting my hunting rifles at the ages of 6, 7,. Before I ever took them hunting, and that depended on what kind of hunting trip we were taking and the focus on were they going to make the kill shot.
To make a long stories short for hunting down here in the south back in that time when my kids were kids, We always hunted with my 30.06 for me and for them I took my win. 3030. Which both of them have shot 100 times before I ever put the gun in their hands at 10 or 11 on a planned hunt. The point I'm trying to make is. For their age, experience , and size. They had a gun that fit their ergonomic stature. There is a world of differentence in my hunting and my target rifles. You as their Dad will have to make that call. You know your kids and their capabilities better than anyone. The right size gun for a persons build is always best.
Just train him with the best fitting gun you have in your arsenal. If it looks promising and he can handle it. Go for it. But train him first with it before you take him hunting.
This post just brought back memories of the first time I shot my dads 30 plus inch over and under goose gun at 7yrs old. You can imagine the outcome.. As for my buddies on a planned hunt. We discuss what each one is taking so all equipment is counted fore, before we leave the house. And hopefully he picked the correct weapon for his use. If not he will have to make due with what Is available. The smallest gun I take with me on all hunts and fishing trips is ,, My old trusty 10mm. Heck, I got to where I'm at,, by shooting all different size guns. Some bigger than me.
That just taught me that,, some guns work better me,, but I will still jump on the big ones. Lol.

Last edited:
Well today with the mentor licensing most states now have kids hunting even younger than age 12.
But put them on even a magnum cartridge gun with some weight to it and having a muzzel brake, and let them shoot the thing all they want at rocks, they will be killing deer as well as the older guys with the same gun.
Again, its how you go about it as for the setup.

Well today with the mentor licensing most states now have kids hunting even younger than age 12.
But put them on even a magnum cartridge gun with some weight to it and having a muzzel brake, and let them shoot the thing all they want at rocks, they will be killing deer as well as the older guys with the same gun.
Again, its how you go about it as for the setup.
Agreed, I sure wouldn't want to lug any of my target rifles in the field to hunt with. The added weight would kill an old man. My 308 AR-10 will kill any thing in the south that you care to hunt, be it 4 legged or 2 legged. The terrain down here is flat and bushy, unless your hunting on farm land. The average shot is 50 to 100 yards and if you don't drop'em on the first shot the chances are you lost your deer if it is late in the evening.

My choice would be a left handed defiance action and whoevers barrel you want. Stocks can be a problem for lefty,s. Either a mcmillan or a richardsons wood stock. A laminate that is properly bedded is as good as any in my opinion.

I'm a righty, and reading what you lefty's have posted, gave me a hair brain idea. I shoot more bench and prone.
I index my bullets so, loading on the right side means standing up and looking over the scope to make sure that the bullet is loaded properly in the chamber. What would really be cool,,, would be an action that loaded and ejected on the left, and the bolt on the right.. " The best of both worlds." That would eliminate a lot of unnecessary movement behind the gun. Heck, they may make it, and I'm just not aware of it.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about.
I'll have to do some research on that. I never really thought about it until this post. That configuration would put me in a new comfort zone.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.