To continue or start from scratch

I would take a very serious look into Defiance Arms. And Stiller too. There several other firms that make M700 foot print custom actions. I recently did a build in 260 Ackley Improved and it is working out great using a Defiance Arms short action.
I do recommend buying a custom action vs. buying a M700 LH action and having it blue printed. It will cost you more if you go that route. A custom action holds its value better than a blue printed M700 does.
It is fairly easy to find M700 LH compatible stocks.
One of my favorite stocks to "snipe" is the M700 LH LSS laminated stocks. They can be picked up fairly inexpensively. They are very stable stocks, get it pillar bedded and you are good to go.
The Remington/HS Precision LH Varmint Stocks are a little tougher to find. If you can find one, grab it.
My last bit of advice is to stick with a long action. With my 260 AI build, I quickly found out about the case over length (COL) issue of 2.82" for the M700 short action.
With the 308 / WSM / 284 based cartridges you have to seat the bullets very deeply into the case when using a short action. You learn to accept that you're giving up case capacity because of seating depth.
Otherwise you can have the rifle throated long and turn that short action into a single shot rifle.
To be honest there are some very nice LH builds that show up here on LRH in the classified ads. Actually some are amazing.
Good luck with your new build.

Really appreciate everyone's feedback and willingness to help out the new guy. I'll have to figure out what makes more sense for me as far as factory vs custom. But at least now I know the direction I need to head in is getting the gear that fits me best.
Happy Friday everyone, hope you have afternoon range day plans like I do!

As another lefty, I would say sell all of your right handed stuff that doesn't have sentimental value and start over with left handed stuff. You'll be much happier imho. I was.

Well im a lefty also, and have been for 85 years and still counting.
For more than 50 of those years i have only hunted long range.
Like you i have quite a few lefty bolt guns, but all are in the smaller varmit caliber type or just conventional carry around type rifles.
I have 4 different rifles i use specificly for long range hunting up to and including a large capacity version 338, and all those are on right handed actions.
The key question most people dont consider is (how do you shoot).
In PA where most of my long range hunting is done, virtually (all) of the many long range hunters use a bench for shooting. Even on trips west for prairie dogs my shooting is done from a bench.
So my question to you would be is shooting from a bench with a right bolt a big problem for you?
My guess is that it isnt, and could even have an advantage if you single feed the gun as we do.
If you watch the videos of the really good coyote hunters you will find that they do quite alot of shooting at running coyotes. But thats a coyote, and nobody gives a hoot about a poorly hit coyote.
So have a lefty gun that you can work fast for the coyotes if you prefer.
But for most other use its simply a case of mind over matter.
And for most guys i know it dont matter, and thats due to how they go about shooting when they hunt.

It may be just a coyote to most people but they also deserve a humane death as do all living creatures !

I too am a lefty with a stable of right handed rifles, my favorite a 308 Sig ssg3k. A special forces sniper taught me how to shoot a right handed bolt action rifle and not lose my cheek weld between shots. I still shoulder the gun as always and simply change how i hold the gun. i use my left arm to steady the rifle and my right hand to pull the trigger. worked well for me. try it before you invest alot of money....

As a lefty I've never even shot a LH rifle, but I have hefted a few. They all felt odd. I shoot LH'd, even with the case deflectors I usually get grazed on the RH cheek by AR cases going by. I can run most of my .22 bolts with my left thumb, but obviously not the CF's. I guess that I should shoot a LH sometime, but I'm comfortable with RH bolt. If the OP is not, then I'd suggest trying a LH bolt before laying down the $$.

I would buy a left handled tikka $700, have a quality Smith install a Krieger hart bartlein etc barrel $700 more. Mcmillan stock $600 comes in around 2k and over your budget but I am very confident you'd be shooting little bitty groups with an action made for a lefty. Life is too short to use a rifle that doesn't fit YOU.

If you're sinister (i.e. left handed), chances are you're ambidextrous, meaning you can shoot bolt guns left or right handed with ease.
I'm right handed, left eye dominant,and shoot left handed. I shoot a LH Tikka 308, but the rest of my rifles are all RH, including all my customs.
For a lefty from a bench, a RH bolt gun is *much* faster than a LH. Your finger never leaves the trigger, and if you practice, you also rarely come off your cheek weld.
Offhand, from the shoulder, is the opposite - you want a gun to match your dexterity.

I regard this site as one which caters to custom builds, i.e. dudes with plenty of spare cash - and responses do/will indicate that. Be aware though, custom can be a black hole in a bench into which you pour a crap-ton of $$$$. It is also fairly addictive.
Shoot as many rifles as possible. In the process, hone your skills, discover what caliber you prefer, which action and stock/chassis you like the most. It wasn't until my fourth custom that I think I got everything nailed down perfectly. Now if I only had time to go shooting.

Well im a lefty also, and have been for 85 years and still counting.
For more than 50 of those years i have only hunted long range.
Like you i have quite a few lefty bolt guns, but all are in the smaller varmit caliber type or just conventional carry around type rifles.
I have 4 different rifles i use specificly for long range hunting up to and including a large capacity version 338, and all those are on right handed actions.
The key question most people dont consider is (how do you shoot).
In PA where most of my long range hunting is done, virtually (all) of the many long range hunters use a bench for shooting. Even on trips west for prairie dogs my shooting is done from a bench.
So my question to you would be is shooting from a bench with a right bolt a big problem for you?
My guess is that it isnt, and could even have an advantage if you single feed the gun as we do.
If you watch the videos of the really good coyote hunters you will find that they do quite alot of shooting at running coyotes. But thats a coyote, and nobody gives a hoot about a poorly hit coyote.
So have a lefty gun that you can work fast for the coyotes if you prefer.
But for most other use its simply a case of mind over matter.
And for most guys i know it dont matter, and thats due to how they go about shooting when they hunt.
"Nobody" is a pretty stout word to be using when talking about how folks feel about poor shots on anything other than maybe a murder hornet. And even the hornet needs to be dead before you leave him.

You Have to be completely comfortable behind your rig. Everything must work together in unison. If not,, you might as well stay home. Start over and build you a rifle that suits your ergonomics.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.