Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Velocity Reticle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • More than one method

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters
I've never had the opportunity to see a G7BR2 in action except on TV. Someday I hope to run into someone who has one. Doesn't the program in the rangefinder compute for air density and shooting angle and apply the correction to the turret or ballistics solution you have selected? If this is the case couldn't you set the program to use MOA or MIL corrections and achieve the same results therefore eliminating a ballistics turret with a set solution? I would assume unlike a set ballistics turret using a series of conditions to establish an air density equivalent with shoot to ranges you would need a few turrets to swap out for severe enough air density change? The G7BR2 seems handy but I just haven't convinced myself to look into one yet. I figured as long as I am using a computer for wind I may as well input the COS, range, and air density.

The G7 will give a readout in either yards or MOA in which both are automatically corrected for density, temperature, and angle. The algorithms/readouts match those used in my Shooter App. There is no correction for spin drift. For 1000 yard work this is no big deal knowing I have a 5" sd correction at 1000 yards with my rifle. Wind values are inputted in 5MPH increments quite easily with the output shown in MOA windage adjustments. Smaller wind speed increments and angles need to be mentally corrected from the full value output. I have had excellent success on deer sized game out to 1000 yards. Coyotes out a couple of hundred further. The G7 is a perfect companion for1000 yard work with my 6.5x284. Like Broz, for ELR work with my 300wm, I prefer my Vectronix, computer, and weather station.

Past 1000 I found it's accuracy to fall off and my ballistic program to be much more accurate. This also was found to be true by others that tested the G7-BR2 for a review on here. I have even seen the guys at G7 have the issue with a possible mis-range when they had to dial up for the second shot on game past 1000. Don't take this wrong. It is a very handy piece of gear for many hunters / shooters to 1000 yards and that will cover more than not. But like any precision gear it will server you better if you get to know it and it's personal short comings.

Broz,

Some of what you have posted along with other considerations is why I haven't considered looking into the G7BR2 as of yet. I'm sure they work great under most circumstances and G7 appears to have a great product reducing many inputs for a firing solution. I'm also not at that point of comfort where if I lose my rangefinder I also lose my computer and vise versa. I would prefer to keep them separate since I'm computing for wind anyway. A few more seconds with a computer at the ranges we are talking about shouldn't be that big of a deal breaker. If it is, the animal is moving and best to just let it go. I was also concerned with the product during a Gunwerks TV show with a claimed elevation miss on an elk. With my estimates on a range of 1300 yards that would be an elevation error over 1 MOA. I would usually expect to see errors over 1 MOA in windage before range assuming you have properly applied the use of the products you are marketing. I'm also assuming they used the G7BR2 for ranging and a firing solution. If they were not, that would also be a concern with marketing a product and not using it. Many people seem to like them, I'm just not convinced yet and hope to get my hands on one someday.

Right now I'm sticking to my Kestrel 4000, Vectronix and ballistics engine in PDA along with backup firing tables.

I'm hijacking my own post. If you use a BDC or similar type method for shots in the 600 to 800 yard range and a computer for more accurate solutions past this range would you classify the "when I need a computer" range as "now shooting long range" as one of your long range definitions? I certainly would.

I would classify "Long Range" as anything generally past 600 yds. I would be comfortable in most situations using a BDC turret out to 600 and maybe beyond, but the situation would dictate which method I use.

Beyond 600, the degree of LR difficulty increases the farther you go as already mentioned.

I would classify "Long Range" as anything generally past 600 yds.

With the changing winds in Townsend last weekend with up to 4 MOA correction between shots I would classify long range as the distance your hat blew off.:D As usual MT weather is always a learning experience.

With the changing winds in Townsend last weekend with up to 4 MOA correction between shots I would classify long range as the distance your hat blew off.:D As usual MT weather is always a learning experience.
Having spent a great deal of my life on the High Plains from Texas to MT, I'd say you just described at least 200 days a year for folks that don't know to pull their hat down to their ears before walking outside LOL

Hahaha, almost forgot about the hat flying off :D It always helps to to dial the wind correction in the right direction so you're not hitting 8 MOA right :rolleyes: gun)

As usual I am not adding much to the discussion but as a newbie to the LR world I use computer. I have shot a gunwerks rifle with g7 turrent set up on a NF scope. Loved it. Super fast.

So to the answer the basic question:
#1 choice. Shooter ap on an iPod.

#2. Drop chart, 2 sided in side my cheek cover. It is set up with the hunting scenario and field conditions in which I will be in for the area etc. If some reason my iPod is not accessable or is dead, I have that chart in 50 yard increments.

There are not many surprises any more when it comes to a solution. As long as I do my part the results are consistent and amazingly quick. I have a friend who thinks LR is unethical and he thinks a BDC reticle is much quicker. Also mentioned he jumps game at a 1000 yards. Oh wow, well ok, we are not hunting together....ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.