To clean your gun or not to clean your gun-thats my question

When younger I was always told one should clean their rifle. When I was in the Marines there was no question about it what-so-ever. Not so long ago I read an article by a prominent rifle shooting competitor that explained why it's important to keep one's rifle barrel cleaned on a reguler basis. But most recently I'm hearing just the opposite. Some serious shooters say they don't clean their barrel for 600 rounds or more unless of course they get water or dirt ect in the barrel. How often do you clean your barrels? Thanks in advance.

I was taught the same and now that I have the tools to check and compare all things, I clean often, normally every 5 to 10 rounds if possible.

Shooting matches I sometimes didn't clean because there was no time between relays and I couldn't but if I had time, I did before starting the long range (Slow fire relays) But after the matches it was always cleaned as soon as possible.

You are on your own on this one because there is such a wide difference of opinion you will never get a clear consensus.

J E CUSTOM

My observations were Interesting to me because most of the competitors that I beat on a regular basis, were guys that had the same attitude about not cleaning at all. I realy don't think I was a better shot, just better prepared. Some of my best scores were at 600 and 1000 after I cleaned before I shot them.

We often shot against the military and they often had an armor with them that serviced and cleaned there rifles for them after every round while they got ready for the next relay. Was it just being the military? or did they know something that we didn't.

Not trying to argue the point, (That would be pointless) I just pay attention to little details and the difference in cleaning or not, was/is noticeable to me.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.