To brake or not to brake???

shasky

Finally got my 700 P in 300 RUM. Only shot it enough to sight it in (dozen rounds or so). I am waiting for my new chronograph to come in. It has a pretty good recoil with 92gr. RL-25 & 200 Accubonds. The recoil abuse on my shoulder isn't the concern, but the barrel flip is. It jumps off the bench a good couple inches and I haven't maxed out my loads yet. I don't have any experience with muzzle brakes, and would like some input. First do they effect accurracy? Is the noise increase worth the reduction in recoil. What brand or type do you recommend? Any feed back would be appreciated.
Should have some pictures of the rifle to upload soon.

I would brake the rifle, and have the smith make up a thread protector to screw on if you decide to shoot without the brake.

If properly installed the brake should not effect accuracy, it could enhance it by the reduction in recoil, and less muzzle flip. It could change the POI.

As far as noise goes, its going to be louder.

Frank D

The only accuracy affect a properly installed muzzle brake will have is,it will allow you to shoot more accurately. The recoil of the RUM will be about that of a 270 win.At least that is my opion of my 300 RUM with a break.Yes it will be loud,but it is allready loud enough for ear protection.
A rifle with a brake will not in my experience shoot to the same point of aim with the brake removed.

Every centerfire I own has a brake. They don't affect accuracy. A gun that kicks is no fun to shoot. I have them all my 22 cals to can watch my own bullets hit. But a brake on that rifle and enjoy it. You need hearing protection any ways. A 100 grains of powder is loud any way you look at it.

[ QUOTE ]
Every centerfire I own has a brake. They don't affect accuracy. A gun that kicks is no fun to shoot. I have them all my 22 cals to can watch my own bullets hit. But a brake on that rifle and enjoy it. You need hearing protection any ways. A 100 grains of powder is loud any way you look at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 on Reed's comments.

Ditto to reed

I love brakes, having the ability to spot your own impacts is awesome. I also agree on the hearing protection. You should always wear hearing protecton. I come from a big family of trap shooters and **** near all of them are borderline deaf now!! I grew up selling shells at the trap shoots and I never wore hearing protection. As i got older i did a lot of shooting with out protection and i remember being able to hear armadillos rooting through brush from over 100yds away on a calm night.

now when my wife hollars at me from across the house i cant even make out what she is saying!! then again maybe us men shouldnt use hearing protection!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HA HA HA, thats wrong i guess, we better hear what they are saying so we know what to apologize for!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All jokes aside you will like a break on **** near anything. You can stand to shoot them in a hunting situation without protection occasionally, unless it is something really big then it just hurts

take it easy
steve

It looks more & more like I will be going that direction, I
am talking about while hunting. I used to think that if I wore hearing protection while shooting except while hunting
would work, but (1.) I was probably wrong about that in the first place, even with std. rounds. (2) I am becoming addicted to longer range/louder rounds, thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess technology is going to allow me to wear hearing protection while hunting, I heard horror stories about wind
noise, a distant tractor or Bird sounding like they were in the stand with you, etc. Is the equipment improving where this is not a big problem now. I have heard good things about the Peltor Tact. I believe it was. Please advise.
Also, I hope they are not too hot for AR. hunting.

To brake or not to brake, that is the question?

The answer is .......BRAKE!

The only affect on accuracy, in my view, is that it increases accuracy of the system (me/rifle/rest). As for the rifle, as said above, it dosen't affect it one way or the other. However, the shooting of the rifle becomes immediately more consistent (after the initial amazement).

FWIW...Its worth it.

Nomo,

I have the Peltor tac 6, they are working good for me . I was a bit surprised by the volume level they allowed before cutoff but then realized that I was not having any " extreme noise " physical responses . That is a poor way of putting it but supper is almost ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I wish that someone had taken me in tow a long time ago and shown me how to protect a valuable gift . If your shooting bench or long range hearing protection is no problem and a muzzle brake is / makes more sense than shooting poorly or ruining what you have left ( hearing )

Too late for me ( although I am wearing hearing protection nowadays ) bu t dfor a lot of you young fellers out there , wear 'em and be able to hear that trophy buck that sneaks close while you are looking far, ( it happens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Jim B.

Thanks Jim
I will give those a try. My older brother has lost alot of hearing & I have lost a little, we used to hunt alot with 44mag handguns. If you can wear these while hunting without problems, then I believe this would eliminate the only problem with brakes, unless I missed something & then why not use a brake?
Jim, I wanted to send you a PM, but I don't guess we can.
Where in AR. do you live?
My e-mail is [email protected]

Lerch,

[ QUOTE ]
now when my wife hollars at me from across the house i cant even make out what she is saying!! then again maybe us men shouldnt use hearing protection!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You're not suppose to use ear portection inside the house!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Seriouly, I know what you mean! Though some times just maybe is a good Idea to use hearing protection at home!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL. I do have to admit that aside from my salvation the second best thing the Lord Has given me is my wife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Definitely get a brake. I have owned a couple of sporter weight 338WM's that I couldn't get to group very good due to the severe recoil when shooting from the bench. I now have a sporter weight 338RUM that I had ported before I ever shot it. It doesn't jump at all and it shoots half inch at 100 yds. I have been told that a good brake is more effective than what I have. Even so, mine is a pleasure to shoot.
I wouldn't want to shoot a 300RUM from the bench with heavy loads without recoil reduction. Good luck! Sam

HBAR,

On the first part of your question: To brake or not to brake. Ditto the rest of the guys. BRAKE!

On the second part of your question which I have not seen of the other responders address: What Kind? There are lots of good ones out there. Some are more efficient than others some look better etc, but they all work. For my money I really like the Holland QD. It is a very efficient brake with large side vents and no holes on the bottom to kick up dirt when shooting prone. It looks cool too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Where is everyone when I suggest a brake for those complaining about kicking?

After shooting my Kirby RUM 375 RUM (kicks like a 243 with the heavy 30" Lilja #8 and Holland QD) - I switched to my factory stock lightweight 270 WSM A-Bolt and got Magnum eye and a bad case of Fred flinch stone. I had two nice scope marks complete with blood on may face. As soon as I got home, I shipped the A-bolt back to Kirby for a Holland QD and trigger job. The excellent factory shooter actually shoots better now. I doubt the QD brake made it group better, probably more to do with Kirby's trigger job.

That's the down side of a muzzle brake, you get spoiled. Before Kirby sent me three tack drivers with Holland QD brakes, ignorance was bliss.

I second the Holland QD. Battle proven, looks great. I find it easy to clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.