to ackley or not

Hi Buttermilk.....what are you getting for velocity with your 30/.280 A.I.?

I'm shooting my 30-280 AI in a 15" T/C Encore barrel.

So far I've only shot 165's. The fastest I've pushed Nosler 165 Accubonds is 2842 FPS. Absolute MAX load.

Most loads will do a solid 2750 FPS. I hunted with a load that chrono'd 2743 fps, taking a buck antelope at 287 yards.

Regards
Rog

What is the difference between the old 280 ai and the new 280 ai? And how would you know which one you have. I have a 280ai which one I don't know. I bought a reamer from PTG had the gun chambered and have been using 280 ai Nosler brass. Have I been using the wrong brass. Shoots good no pressure trouble.
Thanks

What is the difference between the old 280 ai and the new 280 ai? And how would you know which one you have. I have a 280ai which one I don't know. I bought a reamer from PTG had the gun chambered and have been using 280 ai Nosler brass. Have I been using the wrong brass. Shoots good no pressure trouble.
Thanks

The best way to determine for sure is to measure how far your shoulder moves forward on the first firing with the Nosler 280AI brass. If it moves forward ~.017" then you have the old Ackley. If your shoulder moves forward a small amount such as is normal in an 06 case like .002" to .008" then you have the new SAAMI.

I have the measurment chart that comes with the reamer from PTG. Could someone tell me the measurment of the brass or the measurement from the base to the shoulder then I will know for sure which 280 ai I have.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.