TMR or mildot

I will be sending my VXIII 30mm 6.5-20x40LR scope back to Leupold as soon as I decide between the mildot or the TMR. I have heard it is harder to shoot for groups at 100 yards with the TMR since it does not have a precise aiming point to center on the target. Has anyone had this problem. I will be experimenting with different handloads to see what shoots best in my rifle, and I dont want to cause myself grief by losing the ability to do some precision target shooting. I have the fine duplex reticle on the scope now and other than the non-ranging ability, it is a very precise scope reticle. I guess I want the best of both worlds, so those of you with expereince, please give me your opinions. Thanks,

I like my TMR, it works. Also, try to get a front focal scope. I didn't think the 4.5-14 was offered as such. With a front focal scope you don't have to be at a specific power for the angles to be accurate.

EDIT: Yep, they only have front focal planes offered on 63055, 64665, 60035, and 60030. (Link) 64665 is a new product too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, but no ones really answered the question yet of whether or not the "open space" hurts precision target shooting at 100 or 200 yards, since the reticle lacks an actual aiming point to center on the target.

Ernie, I see you are located in Gillette. I am not too far from you, just outside of Cheyenne.

I don't have an answer for you at the shorter distances, but you should be able to bracket and have great accuracy with a properly made target.
We are not to far away from each other.

i still prefer a fine cross hair or a target dot for precise short range work. you can manage good accuracy with the tmr at 100, but it really shines out at longer ranges of 400-1300. just another opinion for you to filter through is all. the scope is a 6.5-20MK4 mounted on a 300WM, carbon barreled nesika.
greg

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think if I had the ability to actually look through the reticle myself it would help solve my problems, but I do not know anyone that has one. Mildots are a dime a dozen around here, but I cant find anyone close with the TMR. If anyone out there is close to Cheyenne, WY, or even the Colorado front range area and you own a TMR scope that you wouldnt mind me looking through, let me know. I get the opinion that I couldn't go wrong with either one of the reticles, be it mildot or TMR.

Looking at that Leupold diagram, I'd say the TMR is superior to the standard Mil-Dot reticle only because the mils are displayed down to 1/2 mile increments. This allows more accurate holdovers when using the reticle for holdovers rather than twisting the elevation turret.

The TMR would be a much improved reticle over the standard military Mil-Dot reticle if the mil-divisions extended down 10 mils below the intersection of the crosshairs, rather than the standard military-version 5 mils.

The dash on the thicker part of the reticule is 5 from the finer portion which is 5 from the center. You have 10 on each side if you line up from the bottom dash. They also go down to 1/5 mil increments.

i sight my scope center cross hair in at a longer range such as 500 yds, and then shoot at all upper and lower crosses and write down the ranges on tape on the side of the stock. it helps under hunting situations for quick shots when needed. with a front focal or fixed power scope the ranges never change. for realy long shots you can still dial.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts