TMR, Mil-Dot, or Plex?

IChaseCoues

Looking at getting a Leupold M4 LRT 4.5-14x50.
I'm wondering which reticle to choose.
I like the TMR as it could be better for wind hold and quick elevation hold.
Any input appreciated.

Wish I could help with your choice. I range and dial in.

I just bought the same scope, nice piece of glass.

If you are going to use the reticle for hold over reference points, the TMR is the best by a large margin simply because it offers all the advantages of the Mil Dot system but wuth the added advantages of no dots to cover up alot of the target, plus, it has the 1/2 mil hash marks as well.

Basically there are 1.8 moa between each hash on the TMR instead of the 3.6 moa for the conventional mil dot. Much less guessing involved when your using the reticle for reference hold points at long range.

If you are dialing up for the each long range shot, I recommend the Plex or as it is the simplest and least cluttered. If your dialing up for the shot, no need for the other reference points unless you want some windage reference points but usually those that dial up for each shot also dial in the windage as well.

The scope is a very quality scope by the way, good choice.

Kirby Allen(50)

I will echo what Fifty said, If you are dialing then there really isnt a need for the TMR or Mil dot reticle. YOu can obviously use them still but your knobs do the same job. I know some people who dial for elevation and use the reticle for windage holds but my mind is too simple for all of that.

One great feature of the TMR is a very small gap where the crosshairs would join. A pdog at 1500yds fits right in there!!! To bad I cant kill the little sucker!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

YOu wont be disapointed in the scope, great glass for a decent cost

goodluck
steve

As for the hold over points, I will be dialing the elevation and most likely the windage.
However a quick shot at 300 might be better with a hold over.
The little gap in the crosshair is what drew me to this reticle the most. All the scopes I currently use block out the center of the target which makes precise aiming more difficult.
Is the gap too small to be beneficial on anything larger than PD's?
I would like to look through one, but cant find one in this part of the world to do so with.
I don't really like the idea of spending that much on a scope that I haven't even had my hands on, but I haven't been anywhere that has high end optics.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
instead of the 3.6 moa for the conventional mil dot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fifty,

Are mils 3.6 MOA or 3.6"? I go by 3.6" or 3.44 MOA. Am I wrong on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct

**** it I did it again!!!!

You are corret, 3.6" at 100 yards, not MOA!!!

Ever think you have way to many things rolling around in your head at one time. Most of the time I am glad that I can make it back to the house for dinner after a long day in the shop.

My mistake, you are correct!! Thanks for the catch!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
For that scope, wanting to hold off on windage at least, I'd most definately go with the TMR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!

I also like Leupold's Varmint Hunter reticle. I believe that reticle is one of the most flexible reticles out there. Mine's in a 4.5-14X LR with tgt. elevation turret only, as this is strictly a hunting rig. I can apply reticle compensation with great windage features as well as dial elevation with great reticle windage features again right along center x-hair with 3 repeating intervals of 1.77 MOA. Typically i apply trajectory compensation with the reticle until i hit the lower post tip, and then onto clicks using the lower post as a reference zero, and use the 3rd stadia's windage features for 2 5.49 MOA repeating intervals.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.