Titanium

I have both a LP Razor Ti and an AntiX. Both are nitride coated. I prefer the feel of the Razor Ti, it's a small but noticeable improvement in smoothness vs the AntiX. I do seem to show pressure signs slightly earlier then expected, but certainly within the normal variation of 2 different barrels. So it is tough to point the finger at the action, though I have heard the same as stated above. The Razor is close to twice the thickness of the AntiX, so while Ti may flex more, I'd be very surprised if the action, as a complete unit, flexes measurable more then the AntiX. If I was building another rifle tomorrow, I'm not sure which one I'd choose.

Ti stretches much more than steel under the same load. In my experiance you will see pressure signs sooner in a ti action than a steel action. At least in a magnum bolt face.
Alex wouldn't that mean that you would be over pressure in the non ti actuon? Hiding pressure still doesn't mean you wouldn't be over. Similar to how most will load with soft brass say hornady and then match velocity with in better brass as to not try and hide pressure.

I would that any Smith that won't build on one I wouldn't use sounds like they would also have issues with any new tech available. I can say some of the best guns I've ever seen shoot are ti actions plus be real who out of use could tell
It was the action and not us.
Second I have two Pierce ti actions one older and did get a slightly sticky bolt after 4-5 years ownerships they said bring it in and fixed the issues no problem now. I think new bolt.
Both are very nice actions and would build all my rifle in the future on them.
My thoughts were the same as most if I'm building a light weight hunting rifle I want it as light as possible.
All the names actions will be great and I'm sure would make any of us happy.

I interpreted it to mean the stretch in titanium actions causes indications of excessive pressure on cartridge cases fired in those actions. But that those cartridge cases at equal pressure function fine in a steel action, because the steel action reduces the amount the action stretches.

Pressures causing a titanium action to stretch could lead to difficult bolt lifts upon fired case extraction, possibly galling the bolt lugs over time. Case life could be shorter due to case web stretch in a titanium action that stretches with each firing. But in a steel action, the same exact pressures function fine.

I think whether or not the pressures are excessive is up to the shooter manufacturing the hand loads, and how his action handles those pressures.

Many guys run higher pressure in tougher case head brass. Pressure that causes lost primer pockets in weaker, softer casings. Doesn't mean those same pressures are excessive or dangerous in the Lapua, Peterson, or ADG casings. Just means the weaker casings are gonna fail under pressures the tougher casings can handle day in, day out - no problems.

Last edited:
Alex wouldn't that mean that you would be over pressure in the non ti actuon? Hiding pressure still doesn't mean you wouldn't be over. Similar to how most will load with soft brass say hornady and then match velocity with in better brass as to not try and hide pressure.
Not necessarily. And theres nothing wrong with "hiding" pressure, that just means the parts can handle the load with ease. Thats a good thing. I have no issues with ti other than when I tune a rifle, 99% of the time the best load is not far off of pressure. I rarely have better luck at the low nodes. Its not a problem its just something to be aware of.

Ok that makes perfect sense and I to push it a bit more than I should. When I do reach the upper end I tend to get bolt drag a bit but those are all on loads I needed to back down anyway based on other pressure showing a bit sooner.

I was basing it off the well hashed out most of us are over spec for pressures in our firearms.
I also think that it's perfectly safe but I'm curious if I stuck to spec pressure if I would even seem bolt drag. I also shoot the best brass and usually don't get drag till the second indication of pressure. Haven't run into it with the new one I've got from Pierce.

Recent Posts