Titanium muzzle brakes sneak peek

My desktop jockey skills are being inhibited by my wife telling me to mow the lawn in the background, but I keep coming up with 4.8 x10^-6 inch per inch per degree F. which should be .000048. If I'm wrong let me know, but I saw that a few different places.

I'm far from a metallurgist, but I am flutes deep in Titanium almost every day. You seem pretty knowledgeable, if you have any opinions on the strength of 7075 vs 6061 aluminum shoot me a pm, as I make tripod adapters for rifle using 7075.

What alloy of Ti are you using?

7075 is stronger than 6061. 6061 is a lil easier to cut.

Wanted to do a sneak peek on the Ti muzzle brakes that Salmon River Solutions has in the works. Our goal is to provide ultralight brakes that have great recoil reduction but don't add a lot of length to the barrel. These brakes are designed with back angled ports for maximum recoil reduction, and gas splitters at the beginning of each port to force gas into the ports.

The only ones I have machined so far is the large 3 port slab brake. it is 1.2" in dia, and .88" thick (flat to flat). it is 1.875" OAL and will only add approx 1.375" to a barrel. Its weight comes in at 1.8 oz. I am sending out prototypes for testing today. This will only be in 5/8-24 threads. Will work for 6.5mm up to .375. I made this set of 4 with top ports, but that will be optional.

I just finished up the design for a smaller 4 port slab brake that will be available in 5/8-24, 9/16-24 and 1/2-28. It is 1.85" OAL, .9 dia, and .75" thick. weight will be under 1.5 oz. Will work with bores from 6.5mm up to .338.

Also finished the design for a featherweight/sporter style standard 4 port round brake. It finishes at .7" dia. and can be turned down to .6" dia. for blending. OAL is only 1.725 and will add approx 1.25" to the barrel length. Recommended for bores .243 up to .308, but can go up to .338. Weight will be around 1 oz.

Also have a self timing brake in the works but the design is in its infancy.

View attachment 194499View attachment 194500View attachment 194501
Can't wait to see what kind of recoil reduction data you get from those.

Got the proto type in the mail today. Will be able to test in the next two days. I'm very curious to see how well these work.
I can say I've never dove into the details but can tell you I've shot hundreds of rounds through a ti brake on a steel barrel and never did anything more than have good threads and a dab of anti seize. I hand tighten and have never had one come loose.
Not saying it can't but I haven't had it.

Looking on the proof website it looks like the sendero tapers finish at .800" muzzle diameter. Because of the popularity of the proof barrels I will have a brake specifically for the proof sendero and sendero light.

The proof research Sendero contour has .900" muzzle dia. at 28" , its shorter barrel lengths are greater than that. The PR Sendero light muzzle did. is .800" on a 26" barrel. From my experience the PR Sendero contour is the most popular with LRH builds. Here is there specs.sheet.

Updated-Correct-1.20-Sendero-drawing.png

Updated-Correct-1.20-Sendero-Light.png

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying! There print is poorly drawn, has the .800" dimension in a spot that can be seen as exposed steel distance or the barrel dia.

Thank you for clarifying! There print is poorly drawn, has the .800" dimension in a spot that can be seen as exposed steel distance or the barrel dia.
I agree the print is misleading. The other thing that is misleading is their sendero contour is a bit bigger than a true Rem varmint/ Sendero contour, their sendero light is closer to the true sendero barrel dimensions.

OK, This is going to be the brake I will get prototyped next. It is the "Ti Pro" (titanium proof) Specifically designed around the proof sendero contour.

It finishes at 2.1" OAL, and .99" diameter. It is meant to be turned down to match a proof barrel in sendero contour. It can be turned down to .900" which will cover the entire range of barrel diameters for the proof sendero contour. I narrowed up the ports in order to get 5 ports while retaining a relatively short OAL. If you have .55" of barrel threads you will only add ~1.55" to your barrel. It will be in 5/8-24 and 3/4-24. Weight should be around 1.7 oz.

Pictured below is a screenshot of what it looks like at .990" diameter, and what it looks like turned down to .900".

Ti Pro.JPG

I have two proof sendero 28" coming for some 30 Sherman builds.
I finally opened the ones I got last night. I can say I love the look of these. They are my favorite looking break so far. Very light also. Will hit the range tomorrow for testing if no rain.

So I was able to test this brake out today on my 26" 300 win mag built by Kevin ray hill.
So I have a painkiller currently on it so I was able to use that one which made me fall in love with slab brakes. Problem seems no one made to slab brakes. So I have painkillers on my lightweight build Until now.
This brake is very good. I was shooting 2 rifles today a savage axis 243 and this one. Shooting the 300 with this to brake I noticed that it was slightly better at removing felt recoil than the painkiller which is a tough thing to do. What it did do much better which I was not thinking it would was remove almost all muzzle jump.
I knew many people compare a big rifle with brake to a 243 but I can tell you I don't think it was less recoil just felt slower over more time than the axis. Which did indeed feel better on my shoulder. I shot over 30 rounds and it was very easy. A few hours later I couldn't tell I went shooting. Nowfor the comments on the angled ports. This doesn't seem to have the issues you are talking about. The port directs it away from the shooter. In fact nothing I had on the bench with me got knocked off. Even a 1/4 full monster can. The bench 2 feet to the right of me got some blast but no me or my stuff. Private range so no issues.
Overall this is the best brake I've shot to date.
I was shooting 181 hammers at 3180fps and my point of impact only changed 1" high at 100.
I've shot a wide arrest of brakes and this one has the look and performance I was hoping for. It makes my 300 very nice to shoot I'm actually gonna have my 68 year old dad shoot it this week as he hung up his 300 years ago from bad shoulders.
Any questions? Let's hear them.
Edit: rifle weight with the painkiller was 9lbs.

Very cool I'm really interested in the self timing model.

I'll also chime in about having the first port 90 degrees vs angled back at the shooter.
If they're all angled back the blast is ridiculous, these look similar to the Beast brakes and I can't handle the extreme concussion after owning a few.

have you shot a similar brake with angled port and the first being straight? I have not but haven't seen the issues that this is supposed to fix?
Also that would in theory reduce the Ability to reduce recoil angles where to help reduce recoil so if your first one is straight that would reduce the reduction. I've seen them listed that way for other brakes but not sure if the real world use helps. But I've been wrong before.

Very cool I'm really interested in the self timing model.

I'll also chime in about having the first port 90 degrees vs angled back at the shooter.
If they're all angled back the blast is ridiculous, these look similar to the Beast brakes and I can't handle the extreme concussion after owning a few.
I agree, the first port being cut 90* really makes a big difference in the shoot ability of the break, especially repeated shooting as in a long shot strings in PRS and other competitions. It also makes it a lot more bearable for your hunting partner that may be spotting for you. Just something to think about.

have you shot a similar brake with angled port and the first being straight? I have not but haven't seen the issues that this is supposed to fix?
Also that would in theory reduce the Ability to reduce recoil angles where to help reduce recoil so if your first one is straight that would reduce the reduction. I've seen them listed that way for other brakes but not sure if the real world use helps. But I've been wrong before.
I have shot many different brakes in all configurations and have found the first port being 90* is a big benefit to the shooter and spotter with no negative affect on the recoil reduction. It makes them much more pleasant to shoot both on shooter and spotter and a side benefit is it reduces the amount of dirt blasted into your scope and action during repeated use.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.