Titanium muzzle brakes sneak peek

I agree, the first port being cut 90* really makes a big difference in the shoot ability of the break, especially repeated shooting as in a long shot strings in PRS and other competitions. It also makes it a lot more bearable for your hunting partner that may be spotting for you. Just something to think about.

Have you tried both? I get the thought behind it but it the blast is not affecting me or the things near me how would that first one help? I'm not being sarcastic I'm trying to understand. I've seen it mentioned a bunch for different kinds of brakes but again. The brakes main goal is reduce recoil. Which should lose some of that to a 90 port. But besides that if it's not affecting me now how would that 90 help? Yes for the spotter or others but that's a very small worry in my book as I hunt alone a lot or my hunting buddies are aware of what it does. My bench is about 3' wide and nothing on it was affected nor was I. I just wouldn't want Him to change the port if it's just because of muscle brake or something similar stating that as fact when indeed it does not change much.

I have shot many different brakes in all configurations and have found the first port being 90* is a big benefit to the shooter and spotter with no negative affect on the recoil reduction. It makes them much more pleasant to shoot both on shooter and spotter and a side benefit is it reduces the amount of dirt blasted into your scope and action during repeated use.

I'm also curious as to if the first one doesn't affect recoil why would anyone need angle ports at all? I thought it was to reduce the recoil which most good brake have angled ports. This if you do one out of 3 and the first one getting a significant amount of gas how could it not? Again genuinely curious. Not meant to be bashing anyone.

I agree that having the first port at 90 to the shooter would help in reducing the consussion towards the shooter. The blast hits the first port and that gets pushed out at 90 degrees snd
The. The other angled ports hit the pressure from the 90 port and disperse instead of going back towards the shooter. This would however decrease the recoil reduction, and increase the length of the brake because the straight port has to a lot further forward due to the other angled ports.

One of the reasons that the angled ports work so well is the fact that you can use the angled intersection of the ports (especially the first port) as a gas splitter. It forces a lot of the gas to the sides and out the ports, and has the same effect on the other ports but it is much more effective on the first one.

I think I have a way to do this same thing with the first port being straight. I will play around with the design tonight.

the picture is to show what I'm talking about for splitting the gas Outward.

FE23C122-DD27-413A-9A0F-1788CCEF1304.jpeg

I agree that having the first port at 90 to the shooter would help in reducing the consussion towards the shooter. This would however decrease the recoils reduction, and increase the length of the brake because the straight port has to a lot further forward due to the other angled ports.

One of the reasons that the angled ports work so well is the fact that you can use the angled intersection of the ports (especially the first port) as a gas splitter. It forces a lot of the gas to the sides and out the ports, and has the same effect on the other ports but it is much more effective on the first one.

I think I have a way to do this same thing with the first port being straight. I will play around with the design tonight.

the picture is to show what I'm talking about for splitting the gas Outward.

View attachment 195268

I would recommend they try your brake first. It's really something. Without the blast hitting the shooter.
Could I also add that this guy can machine. This things fit and finish is by far better than any other break I have bought. I was very impressed with the break. I was hoping to find something I could to help make it better. I even went in thinking some more small holes on top would help reduce jump but I'm not sure at this point. You sir have a fantastic brake and I'll get you my order list tomorrow.

I have a couple ideas on how to reduce the shooter-directed blast but still retain angled ports and good recoil reduction. I will spend my gun part insomnia time tonight doing some design work! Thank you everyone for the input so far, and thanks to @snox801 for the initial testing

I could also use someone to test this Ti Pro brake, in a 5/8-24 configuration. Levi was able to use a crush washer to do a close enough timing job to do his initial testing. This brake is .990" OD and can be turned down to .9" dia. It is a 5 port angled brake that requires timing. Looking for a relatively quick turnaround on testing. I will have the first few done tomorrow.

I
May head back to the range this week and see if I can focus on the difference in blast between the painkiller and this one. I honestly didn't notice it at all. I noticed my stuff stayed on the table that was a change but maybe i was not paying attention well enough.

I'm also curious as to if the first one doesn't affect recoil why would anyone need angle ports at all? I thought it was to reduce the recoil which most good brake have angled ports. This if you do one out of 3 and the first one getting a significant amount of gas how could it not? Again genuinely curious. Not meant to be bashing anyone.
If you look closely a lot of the top brakes being used currently have a first port being 90*. You still get the recoil reducing of the angled ports because they are not affected util the gas has already been directed out of the port and then it hits the 90* gas being ported witch helps blow the concussion/blast away from the shooter. There are plenty of brakes with all 90* ports that work affectively, the OP first brakes were all 90* ports. In fact there are a lot of competitors that will only use a 90* ported brake because it is less distracting while shooting a string of shots for both the shooter and the spotter. Like i stated above, and you may have just missed it as we may have been typing at the same time, I have shot many many 1000's of rounds from many styles of brakes and I have come to the decision that a 90* port as the first port is the best design for both hunting and other uses and for a select few of my uses, depending on cartridge and use, I still prefer an all 90* port brake.

I could also use someone to test this Ti Pro brake, in a 5/8-24 configuration. Levi was able to use a crush washer to do a close enough timing job to do his initial testing. This brake is .990" OD and can be turned down to .9" dia. It is a 5 port angled brake that requires timing. Looking for a relatively quick turnaround on testing. I will have the first few done tomorrow.
I have a 30-28 Nosler I would be willing to test it on that is wearing that barrel. I also have a 28 Nosler being spun up on a Proof Research Sendero Lite I can test one on if you wish. You can PM me if you like.

P.S. are you going to be making any of your first style, 3 port 90* again?

Last edited:
I
May head back to the range this week and see if I can focus on the difference in blast between the painkiller and this one. I honestly didn't notice it at all. I noticed my stuff stayed on the table that was a change but maybe i was not paying attention well enough.
Get down prone on the grounds in the dirt and other real shooting situation and you will see some of the benefits. Plus get on a spotting scope while someone else shoots the gun and you can tell the difference also.

By the way livetohunt ,they are looking great.

Last edited:
I was planning on it but got derailed on this course of the "higher end" brakes. I do still have a lot of people interested in those ones. I will have to get around to doing those soon too!

I was planning on it but got derailed on this course of the "higher end" brakes. I do still have a lot of people interested in those ones. I will have to get around to doing those soon too!

Don't give up on it! I personally do not have any problem with all angled ports. I have both types being mentioned and I like them both. Cater to the people that are interested and don't look back, I doubt that this is going to be your last design.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.