Titanium actions

Bingo!!! My Ti chambered by Travis is a tack driver. Don't get wrapped up with internet scientists, find a better Smith and be happy!
That's just it
I've been pouring through internet threads since talking with that guy, and while I found plenty of negative opinions about titanium actions.. There wasn't a shread of factual evidence to back any of it up.
If they're weak then why would reputable companies be building them?

I think Borden would be one of the few I would trust to call up and ask what he thinks about them and why he started/stopped offering them/making them.

Ive been told a lot of things by a lot of gunsmiths.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just it
I've been pouring through internet threads since talking with that guy, and while I found plenty of negative opinions about titanium actions.. There wasn't a shread of factual evidence to back any of it up.
If they're weak then why would reputable companies be building them?
Like most topics on the internet, the lionshare of folks are regurgitating something someone told them with no actual knowledge or experience to back any of it up.

But hey, I'm commenting on the internet too, so probably don't believe me when I say my Ti action with a Ca barrel chambered in a magnum is an absolute hammer that is going nowhere.

some think attaching steel barrels to Titanium actions heat and cool at different rates but thats the only POTENTIAL problem I've heard?

Titanium is very strong, reasonably hard to machine, very expensive, and saves some weight (Not much but some). the part about screwing two dissimilar metals together Is/can Be a problem, if not done right is an issue but it can be dealt with. The same problem exist when using a titanium muzzle brake. With different coefficients of expansions the titanium tends to expand more with heat and can loosen with use.

It is a great material but the issues and cost make it less popular to use. Because of the cost and machine ability you will probably never see a barrel made from titanium.
Most titanium pistols have a Stainless insert pressed into the titanium to solve the problem and hold the cost down.

Sounds like your smith just don't want to work on/with titanium or doesn't have the expertise. so you are better off going to someone that does/can.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I have built two rifle with Ti actions, both LP Razor Ti, I didn't have any issues with galling of the action threads. I'm no expert on any of this and only used them just because they were lighter. Both rifles shot very well for me.

But just think about this for a second if the Gunsmith built a rifle for someone with a Ti action and the customer had issues with the rifle and brought it back for what ever reason. It probably turned into a nightmare for the gunsmith and he had to eat all his profits that he made on the build and ended up not making any money. Wouldn't you start turning away working with any product if something like that happened? I'm not saying they are an inferior product I'm just trying to relate to the gunsmiths Point of View.

Like most topics on the internet, the lionshare of folks are regurgitating something someone told them with no actual knowledge or experience to back any of it up.

This reminds me of when I talk to someone about science. I remind people if they don't have lab or field experience they are just like me: A parrot.

Who cares.
You dont think that a guy that designed his own stainless and titanium actions and puts his name and reputation on the line to sell them to top shooters has an opinion on ss vs ti? There has got to be pros and cons to both materials and he has that real world experiance that so many are asking about.

My concerns with a TI action are:
1-heating/cooling effects. I've tested and used ti muzzle brakes on stainless and CM barrels. They loosen over time. So I "assume" the barrel/action may do the same?
2-Titanium is harder then SS or CM.
With the forces involved on the bolt lugs and 2 dissimilar hardness metals there has to be a accelerated wear that occurs?How many rounds fired at certain pressures before or if accuracy degrades from the wear?
3- Manufacturers of Ti actions. I have been unable to find any info on laboratory testing for strength on said actions. How many PSI will they handle before a catastrophic failure?
4-No manufacturer has offered up any testing for the above questions.

Just my 2 cents on the topic debate

Recent Posts