Tired 600 remington

winmag76

Thinking about starting my first custom and would value some expirenced opions. I have a 600 remy with a tired barrel an a well worn stock. I've never tried to bed a stock so I'm thinking HS Precision an I think I would go with a Hart barrel in #3 or #4 fluted 22"-24" in 243 win or 260. I have reloaded for 243 for about 15 years and just recently have gotten interested in the 260. My second option would be something for the thick stuff like a 338FED. Most of my field shots are between 200 an 400 yd, sometimes longer. So you guys tell me what you think, thanks!!

Thinking about starting my first custom and would value some experienced opinions. I have a 600 Remmy with a tired barrel an a well worn stock. I've never tried to bed a stock so I'm thinking HS Precision an I think I would go with a Hart barrel in #3 or #4 fluted 22"-24" in 243 win or 260. I have reloaded for 243 for about 15 years and just recently have gotten interested in the 260. My second option would be something for the thick stuff like a 338FED. Most of my field shots are between 200 an 400 yd, sometimes longer. So you guys tell me what you think, thanks!!

Like the action, as I use XP-100's.
What kind of game are you hunting?
If I was just picking one of the cartridges I would go with the 260 Rem.

Thinking about starting my first custom and would value some expirenced opions. I have a 600 remy with a tired barrel an a well worn stock. I've never tried to bed a stock so I'm thinking HS Precision an I think I would go with a Hart barrel in #3 or #4 fluted 22"-24" in 243 win or 260.thanks!!

I wouldn't flute a #3 or #4 barrel. My 26" McGowan: Douglas #4 couture weighs 3 lbs 7 oz. Stainless, 7mm. Non-fluted. A Remy action weighs about 2 lbs so there's your 5 1/2 lb barreled action. I'm not sure you could get a custom barrel maker to put serious flutes in a #3 or #4 anyway. Only decorative flutes. Might spend $120 to save 3 or 4 oz. JMHO.

JM .02

wanna sell the stock, i am doing a 600 with a 260 rem take off barrel in the mtn contour, need a stock for a while for load development

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.