Tips when shooting off a bipod???

rifletuner

Guys

I have a fair amount of experience on long range shots, but generally prefer to shoot from a bench. I now need to set up for long shots using a bipod (either prone or off a vehicle hood). I would be interested to hear from people with any issues I should consider for this style of shooting, technique, etc. I am interested in anything people can suggest to increase my odds for a hit from field positions at long range targets.

Thanks

Fergus

It really helps if you have a packpack/clothing item to use as a rear "sandbag". If you are lucky to be hunting/shooting somewhere with low obstructions, you can use a short bipod and accuracy won't suffer horribly from bench (IMO). If you're like me and have to shoot over grass and such, you have to go with something taller like my Harris 25(C?). It's a LITTLE too tall for ideal prone shooting, but not awful.
I like to push the gun into this bipod a little bit. This automatically pushes the gun into my shoulder, and makes me shoot a lot better. I'm actually as good off the bipod as the bench (ok so my bench skills aren't perfect!).

Keep yourself steady.
grin.gif

[ 09-23-2004: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

Fergus ,
I shoot over the boot (that's Aussie for trunk) of my car a lot using a bipod . I have found that groups are inclined to string vertically unless I hold onto the forend and apply a little downward pressure . I like to use a rolled up jacket or something similar under the butt . I usually stand but try to avoid having the centre and left side of my chest resting against the vehicle as the heartbeat moves things around . No trouble to shoot 1/2 MOA or better with a 10 pound rifle .
Shooting a rifle with heavy recoil accurately off a sloping surface with a bipod is tougher I think .
Where are you at ?

The most important single thing is to keep that rifle level!! By a bubble level that attatches to the rifles scope rail!!
I did some testing on angles and stuff and just how level I thought I could be while looking and different hills and slopes of hills..
Well let me tell you I challenge anyone to shoot out here and be consistient without a level...

<<Well let me tell you I challenge anyone to shoot out here and be consistient without a level...>>

Amen.
smile.gif

~Holmes

I know we have shot together and I gave some of your advise thought... but **** if those things don't work... Until that certain gunsmiths come our here to shoot with ya and proves me wrong I gotta go with the thing
grin.gif

Fergus, this is how I am doing it over the hood of my truck. First, you must have the bipod that will incline - rifle must be as level as possible.

I don't use a rear rest figuring that time is the big issue. I hold the stock in front of the action with my left hand and rest the elbow on the hood. I put a fair amount of downward pressure on the stock or it bounces like crazy. The right hand is in the thumbhole stock and pulls firmly into the shoulder.

Because the rifle also has a muzzle brake, the recoil is quite mild. I do get to spot most of my shots from 300yds out. This is important to me as I want to know where I hit the target or animal.

I would prefer not to use a bipod at all. If you could make a big bean bag, that would be much more stable and the bouncing would be gone. There is a company making them in the shape of an X and the rifle sits in one of the X cradles. Very good idea. However, not as field portable or useful as a bipod.

Jerry

Hi gang, new to this board. I have shot many a prarie dog and a few coyotes off of a swivel bipod. I indeed use a "Scopelevel". Also, in lieu of using the springlock, on the lower legs of extendable bipods, I use the compression lock. This will make the legs a bit more stabile IMHO. The three leg 25" Harris bipod is my favorite for calling coyotes. I am not an overly large person and it allows for good shooting angles. Hope this helps!

Welcome aboard, MTGunner.

I'm addicted to poppin' pasture poodles myself. Great practice for the speed goats!

Take care and good shootin'.

~Holmes

Aussie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Where are you at ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Melbourne. I have been over to compete at Jarahdale the last 3 years.

Fergus

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.