Tips on Flying

Thanks for all the input, we've decided that flying is just too complicated with getting meat and capes (hopefully) back home. We'll be in the mountains 2 weeks so we'll have time to take care of any meat we put down, I'm used to processing my own anyway. Thanks again!

Seems like you have made up your mind, but I will through this out there anyway.
1) You could donate the meat. Yea I know it sucks, but for the money it takes to fly, you could buy fresh beef. Some states you will have to arrange the donatee before you go, and some have a list with contacts for the area your hunting. If your lucky they will freeze tenderloin for your carry on.
2)Take your cape to a local taxi and have it fleshed/turned/wet tanned and shipped to your house. This should take off a 1/3 of your taxidermy bill, so close to even money there, except shipping.
3) Ship your clothes/gear home, and use the elk rack as a luggage. Also could ship a box of antlers if deer or antelope. The last time we did this, our gear arrived home a day after we did.
A couple hours in town, and 2-300 dollars is nothing compared to 24hr drive home. Notice I said drive home..lol Time fly's on the way, but that drive home is a killer!
This only works if your hunting out of a motel diy or outfitter. You will need to much gear other wise.

I usually do not process it! Get the hide off, bones out, big pieces. Process when I get home. I am a bit of a cheap person, and have purchased my own processing equip over the years.

About the freezing, I call around to the motels and find one that has a freezer! I have only had a couple times where I couldn't find one.

Place the deboned meat in an ice chest, cover with some brown paper bags and then place bags of ice on top. Will last for 2 to 3 days easy.

Make sure you keep the drain plug open so water can drain.

In most of rural America you can find a mom and pop slaughter house in just about every county who will for a reasonable fee freeze your meat and cut it into manageable sized chunks for shipping.

Once frozen solid and packed into a cooler it will keep very well with no added ice for 3-4 days with no trouble.

I've known of more than a few guys who take a trailer on out of state hunts with a chest type freezer making the ride. They park it at the motel, plug it in overnight to keep things frozen and then do the same when making overnight stops on the way home.

Try finding out if there is air cargo services from where you will be hunting to an airport close by you. You will have to become a known shipper ( not a difficult process). I get shipments of frozen fish from Anchorage AK to Minneapolis all the time. It cost about $1/lb. My brother in law packs Frozen fish into either waxed boxes or Rubbermaid totes Ships it and if there is a layover the cargo company stores the fish in a freezer. Ussually he ships and i get it the next day and the fish is still frozen. He uses Alaska Air and i have used Delta cargo before. This method is alot cheaper than having to pay baggage fees.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.