Tips for Meat Care on a flat land (no trees) multi-day hunt

We are going on a 5 day hunt on pretty much flat land that has no trees and shade to hang meat. No streams nearby either and we dont want to go near wildlife water source. Have you been in such situation? This is our first time on hunt like this and we really appreciate any tips or tricks for meat preservation and care

No off-road vehicle. But walk is not bad. Chest freezer idea was brought up during our discussion. Not sure how will we power it. We are renting a pickup. Few more idea were Dry Ice, Frozen Salt water bottles and, of course a lot of ice bags. We are not camping.

If the truck is close by I've seen lots of folks put chest freezers and generators in the truck or on a trailer. Otherwise ice in quality coolers. If none of these are options your only real chance is spray the meat with citric acid (available in powder form) to lower the pH then try to get it in some sort of shade.

What and where are you hunting?

If you use dry ice your meat will freeze. If you want to keep your meat cool use ice. I used to pack dry ice along with ice in one big cooler, then add ice to meat in another cooler accordingly. Five day hunt, 8 pounds of dry ice with 40 pounds of ice should be plenty. Be careful how you handle your dry ice it will burn you, wear gloves. What ever your dry ice is wrapped in leave it alone. Your dry ice will keep your ice frozen. You run out get a little more. Very easy to use.

WY Antelope and Deer. I dont think we are ready for elk yet
OK.

Where(ish) in Wyoming?

If you're out in nowhere, you will have to debone it and put it in coolers. I would recommend icing it, but keep the ice in bags, i.e. don't let the meat get waterlogged. Keep the meat in game bags and keep it clean!

I love the 150 quart Igloo coolers from Sam's Club for $69.94. They will keep ice for days.

I hunt this way frequently and use a very large Yeti type chest with 50#block ice and 5# dry ice on the bottom. Never had boned out meat freeze. Use blood proof bags and get all the air out of them! Antelope meat must be boned out as quick as possible and chilled immediately! I live in Wy but hunt at least 6 other states annually and always bring my meat home to process, if all else fails we have numerous big game processors here in Wy!

South WY. Once we get to hotel, we are planning to debone, vacuum seal and keep in cooler. Hotel fridge is not enough. We got 3 Lifetime 77Qt Coolers from Walmart and other 3 we had for camping etc likes of igloo, coleman 65Qt

South WY. Once we get to hotel, we are planning to debone, vacuum seal and keep in cooler. Hotel fridge is not enough. We got 3 Lifetime 77Qt Coolers from Walmart and other 3 we had for camping etc likes of igloo, coleman 65Qt
I must have misread your post, I thought you said you are going hunting. Staying in a motel HOLEY MOLLY

I would not vacuum seal until it is completely cool, or you will be sorry.
Debone it, cool it until the next day, and then consider vacuum sealing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.