Tipped TSX bullet

This is a 168 gr tipped TSX next to a 168 Hornaday,same load same brass,the tipped TSX cant be seated any farther without bending the brass (I TRIED),the bullet extends to far and the round wont go down in the MAG.I fired this load and it works well if you dont mind turning your rifle into a single shot.Trying to achieve anything near 3000 fps and a 168 gr bullet with common powders is pretty hard without going to a compressed load,I tested a few and the IMR 4350 was by far the most accurate load.When you go to the tipped 150 the loads will also be compressed to reach 3000 fps,the bullet sitting beside a 168 are only slightly shorter,if it all.They do make a 130 gr tippe TSX,this is probably the only one you will get 3000 fps out of and have a usable magwell.
1tippedtsx.jpg

Last edited:
OK BOYS...Lets get back to the start..guess I ment to say about 3000fps...I'm just looking for a good starting point and doing my home work....I'm looking for a good load for elk hunting out to 300 to 400yd. I know the 150gr is good. Fast make it flat. Now befor you get on me I'v been ELK hunting for over 45years...Most of the time with bow but a bad shoulder so I might have to go to my VTR...

Buy a reloading manual and do some research,your not going to get 3000 FPS with a 308 and a tipped TSX unless you use a compressed load.Go to this link....
Barnes Bullets » .308
clik on 308 and look at the 150 gr data,the best Barnes got was 2980 at 96% case capacity,at 96 % I could almost seat the 168s deep enough to go in the mag but they would hang up after firing the round chambered,the 150s may seat deep enough with this load but I wouldnt go any lighter than the 168s for elk at LR with a 308.If you want to kill elk at long range why dont you use something more suitable?

I know this isn't apples to apples, but I am getting 2530fps out of an 18" barrel with 40.5grns IMR-4895 with a 175grn FMJ lead core. I'm guessing if you use 46.4 (Max according to Hornady's load manual) and work up from there you will get your desired speed.

This load is used in a tight comp chamber. It is the most accurate I have found for this rifle and that particular bullet.

According to the Nosler manual 46.0grns RL15 will give a velocity of 2958. My next choice by Sierra would be the max charge of 45.5grns IMR-4064. I have had alot of good luck with the 4064. And then the old stand by.... Varget. Start some where around 46.5grns and work up.

All of these loads are assumptions for your rifle. Solid bullets will manage a hotter load than normal and shoot faster due to the nature of the bullet. I know this is vague in the load data, but not having your rifle in hand and not shooting the VTR, this the best I could do. As with all reloading, start 10% below Max just to be safe. I have found that loading over max is normal and generally safe, but that is just in my rifles. ;)

Shoot Safe,
Tank

I also noticed that Barnes doen't recomend 4350 in the 308 case
More wisdom from CPt. obvious,break out a nosler manual,every weight has a IMR 4350 load,they tested 2 powders genius,they arnt recommending anything.Do you have anyhting to add besides ignorant attempts to disrupt a thread?Mike read this thread.....
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2900-fps-308-a-29992/
it contains lot of knowledge from guys who know what they are talking about....

Last edited:
Have you tried a long drop tube instead of a regular powder funnel. Or gentle tap the side of the case about 10-15 times (don't spill the powder, I actually seat the bullet a touch, hold it tip up and tap the side of the case). This will allow you to seat the bullet deeper.

Have you tried a long drop tube instead of a regular powder funnel. Or gentle tap the side of the case about 10-15 times (don't spill the powder, I actually seat the bullet a touch, hold it tip up and tap the side of the case). This will allow you to seat the bullet deeper.

Eactly and a vibrator along with the long drop tube will allow the powder to settle out better.

Of course their are more suited powders for the 308 case than 4350. A clue Nonya, that's why Barnes didn't recomend 4350 with the TTSX too hard for most people to get enough in the case

It's not my place to say this, but I'm getting tired of the bickering. Nonya and jwp, if you could move your argument and p***ing match to your pm's it would be greatly appreciated.

Back to the subject, I have shot 168 A-max's at 2760 avg with 43.5 grains of RL15 out of a stock 26" savage barrel w/1:10 twist. Shot very consistent and accurate. You are going to be hard pressed for 2900, but it is not impossible.

Tank

I did the 4350 is quite solid,may work well with other powders.Not a problem any more,I had my fun with the 308,didnt impress me much as anything near a true long range round for big game,the mags have won over once again.Its a fun round to shoot,accurate as hell within its limitations and cheap to reload for,I wish we had some serious shooting clubs around here to put on shoots,a 308 class would be a blast.Im not taking his crap to PMing,when he stops flaming and trolling my posts Ill stop responding,every time I post and he sees it he responds with a flame,if nobody has noticed it eventually they will,till then I guess the Moderator should do something about it.

Last edited:
First let me thank everyone that is trying to help.....Like I said I did my home work and I have all the books....The 150gr is shorter than the 168gr....I was trying to fine someone that has a trick load that works good in the VTR.....45 years ago I use to hunt then with a 22 to put food on the table and I'm talking rosee..Yes I know it not legal....Were all trying to be frindley here so lets not try to bash everyone and lets try to help everyone...So has anyone try BL2???

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts